• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Getting started - Choosing software and a webcam

Started by Delphine, Oct 15, 2007, 16:56:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Delphine

Thanks for continuing this discussion publically - I appreciate it.

I have a couple of really basic questions to ask I'm afraid.

1.  I would like to practice with Registax and the K3ccdtools v 1 and download them now before I buy a webcam.  Is this physically possible or do they need some kind of tie in with the webcam? 

2.  I have searched the net for webcams and found a Philips SPC900NC from Amazon.  Not sure if it is a Toucam but it has a CCD chip in it.  would this be OK? - other amateur astronomers seem to rate it.

3.  Am I correct in thinking that the webcam doesn't need to be modified if you are just going to do the moon and planets?  -  I don't know what modification is required but suspect I don't need to know!!

Cheers
Delphine

Delphine

I have just heard from Miriam that the Philips SPC900NC is the one that she has so I am going to get one of those.

JohnP

Hi Delphine - Not basic questions at all...

You can certainly practice with Registax if you have an avi file - K3 you will need to have a webcam connected to practice capturing (unless you just want to use it to process).

The SPC900NC is a great starter camera - The CCD chip is great - it is more sensitive than a CMOS one.. it does not need to be modified for the moon or planets - you will need to get an Infra Red blocking filter & also a nose piece so you can connect the camera to your telescope - you can see examples here although shop around (you may get cheaper).

http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?thelang=001lngdef&pointerid=9E1B652BB80C425CB73FBC18CD8E43B1

It's basically the same webcam as I started with.

Cheers,  John

Rick

(Just split this thread out of the monster "Digital Photography" one, as it's a new question or three.)

Ian

if I remember (and that's a big if) I'll write some of my old planetary avis to a cdrom if you want to have a practice. There's nothing special about them though...

Carole

I'm reading this one too as Miriam and Delphine are a step ahead of me and taking notes.

Carole

Delphine

Hi John

Many thanks John for your advice & information.  I clicked onto the website link you gave me so I now know what the filter looks like and where to buy it!  Thanks also for the reassurance that I will be buying the correct webcam.  

I am glad that I can practice with Registax without actually having the camera as I am not sure when I would be able to produce my own images to process.

Cheers
Delphine

Delphine

Hi Ian

Many thanks for your offer to give me some of your planetary AVI files on a CD [if you remember!].  I really appreciate it.

Cheers
Delphine

Delphine

I have just ordered the Philips SPC900NC from Amazon and the IR-UV filter and adaptor from Telescope House.  Now I am eagerly awaiting delivery :D.  Thanks for your advice everyone.

Mike

Woohoo !! I can't wait for your fantastic images of the moon, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. We have a plethora of new imagers recently, this is great. One of the things I hoped would come out of Deep Sky Camp and the Imaging Sessions would be to encourage more people to give astrophotography a go so i'm happy :)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Delphine

Thanks for your encouragement Mike.  Not sure if the word 'fantastic' is the right one but I will do my best :D

Ian

Getting an image through a telescope isn't so hard, but getting it all right all the same time takes a bit of work. So based on that *any* image you make starts off at fantastic and will with time and practice head towards eye-popping.

That's why it's sufficiently rewarding to spend a small fortune on kit to sit out, on your tod, in the cold and dark, all night to get one image.

Delphine

Hooray!!  Today I have loaded the webcam onto my laptop and downloaded K3CCD V1 and Registax.  All seems to be OK.  I have been playing around with the Jupiter AVI that Ian gave me in K3CCD.  Now I have got to figure out how to capture images.  I tested the webcam but didn't know how to switch it off so I have video of myself looking very puzzled!!!  Lots to learn but fingers crossed everything seem to be working at the moment :D

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

Ah, yes, I remember I had to give you some additional information about that avi that I gave to you. It was the output from a modified webcam that gives a less processed image (webcams normally do some processing such as sharpening and colour balance on the fly). If you notice the colours looking a little strange that'll be why.

That said, it'll still stack and so on. We can go on to talk about some of the software mods after you've got going with it as it is...