• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Meteors in early June

Started by Rick, Jun 09, 2023, 15:39:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

It's not a busy time for meteor showers, and the nights are also short so there's less opportunity to catch them optically. This is a tracked-stack of the meteors caught by my two Global Meteor Network cameras on the night of 8th/9th June. As the fields of view of the two cameras overlap, some of the meteors were caught by both cameras. One camera detected 8 and the other detected 12 meteors, but at least two of them were seen by both cameras. On the left-hand side of the combined image you can see where the trees behind my house get in the way of imaging.

Gallery link

Rick

Last night was quite a good one.

This is a tracked stack of the meteors captured by my two Global Meteor Network cameras on the night of 24th to 25th June 2023. The old camera caught 25 and the new one caught 34, but some meteors were caught by both cameras, so the total is less than 59. The preliminary analysis found four June iota Pegasids, three Northern June Aquilids, two Southern mu Sagittariids, one June mu Cassiopeiid, and the rest were sporadics. The brightest one was a sporadic that was seen by at least 33 other Global Meteor Network cameras.

Gallery link