• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First attempt

Started by mickw, Dec 17, 2007, 10:41:39

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Finally got my head together and had my first attempt at imaging last night with the ETX set alt/az, only the moon but it's a start.  :)
Trial 1 - Philips SPC900 webcam (modded SC1 but just using standard exposure) - 782 images, all junk, bit overexposed and appear out of focus plus a lot higher magnification than I expected, I could only view about 1/8 of the disk.
Trial 2 - Sony DSLR via T mount - ETX mount does not seem happy with the extra load and I couldn't figure out how to remove one of the extension rings (until several beers later) which might have helped.  Shutter release caused vibrations on all images - nothing a few hundred quid won't cure  ;)
Plus I had left the camera on auto which didn't help the exposure.
The ETX mount is also tracking too fast, I will attempt to play with the settings next time.
I was going to attempt Mars, but it would have been about midnight before it cleared the trees and everything was already covered in dew, so I decided to have some well earned beer  :)
Things to do - Learn how to use K3 properly, Adjust camera settings before starting  :oops:
I think I have now started on that slippery slope called imaging.
Mick
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

Congratulation Mick - sounds like you made good progress. The moon is a hugh target & there is no way you could image it all with the webcam unless you put something like a camera lens on the front of it. Often or not people will make a mosaic of the moon made up of 20 or so individual pictures - there is some free software around that can help you with stitching all the images together. I look forward to seeing the first image that you post.. sounds like that'll be another excuse for a beer.... :-)

John

Mike

Quote from: mickw on Dec 17, 2007, 10:41:39....Shutter release caused vibrations on all images - nothing a few hundred quid won't cure  ;)....

I thought the Canon's had a mirror lock? If so, use that.

If not, try the old fashioned method of holding a dark object in front of the scope, releasing the shutter, use the dark obejct to let light through for the required duration and then close shutter. Not very scientific but it might work. Might not be good for the moon though as it is so bright and will require a very short exposure.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

John, thanks for that but having no patience, I will try for a complete image with the SLR - if I can get it working right - I'll save the clever stuff for when I know what I'm doing  :oops:
In the meantime, I can practice using K3 and the webcam on smaller areas.
Mike, unfortunately it's a Sony with no mirror lock - I even resorted to getting the instructions out for that one  :(
I do have an idea to stabilise the setup with a wedge (lump of wood) and a sandbag.  At least that will help prove what the problem is.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional