• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet PANSTARRS (March 2013)

Started by MarkS, Feb 01, 2013, 07:58:24

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Well, I'm here at Otford and its clear at the moment so fingers crossed it'll stay like it for a short while !

The Thing

Fay

think i may pay a visit tomorrow
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Quote from: The Thing on Mar 30, 2013, 19:13:11
Good luck!

Bu66er - clouded out :(

Might try again tomorrow if the weather plays a straight game :-?

Fay

oh dear. i am in garden too cloudy  really been nice in the west when clear bits   

mickw

Managed to find it last night above the bank of clouds on the horizon  8)
So obsessed with seeing the bloody thing I didn't realise how close it was to M31 (apparently) so missed the opportunity for a peek  :-?

Saw Jupiter and Orion and quite a few of those white spotty things but can't remember what they're called  :(

If the sky's clear and it's above freezing, I might even venture outside tonight  :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

what time will that be for tonight for a view? is it still around sunset? how high from the horizon as difficult to know where Andromeda is when still light & not having been outside for 3 months!!!

i may venture to the car park

mickw

I was looking at about 7:45, it was darkish and it was pretty high - didn't bother to check height  :oops:

It should be the same tonight but BST 8:45 or thereabouts and it's towards north west.

If you can figure out where Andromeda should be, the comet will be below it.

Laziness and lack of sky has put me way out of practice  :!

Fay

well if sunset is 7.30. it will be well dark at that time. is that right?

mickw

RobertM

I was there at 6:45 last night but we had to wait a while, I'll get there at 7:30 8:30 if its clear.

Fay

The Thing

I posted "Success!" at 8:04pm GMT when I returned to the car and had packed up tripod, binos etc. It was pretty dark by then so take a torch! Presumably that's now 9:04pm BST or does the timestamp on a thread change with the seasons!

Fay

so when looking across the field from car park, in what area should one look Duncan?

The Thing

Fay, if you use the link I posted you will see a cricket pitch, this is now a football pitch. Stand just past the left goal post and look left towards the tall floodlight pole at the end of the other football pitch (see the satellite photo). You should see something called a 'sunset'. If not you are too early or too late to see the comet. Follow a line between this and Polaris and that is the track of the comet. It's reached M31 at the moment and that's easy to find in binos even if it's quite low (around 20deg up when it's dark enough to make out). Cassiopeia  was easy to spot so you shouldn't have a problem. I've got an app on my phone so it was very very easy :).