• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Helix nebula LRGB and HaLRGB from les Granges

Started by Carole, Aug 17, 2013, 09:25:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Finally managed to get all the data on this.  the LRGB is stacked and processed by me and the Ha part of the HaLRGB was stacked by Olly and final HaLRGB done together.  For some reason DSS or Nebulosity would not stack the Ha data without posterizing, Olly used Astroart, so might look into getting this.

Kit:
Atik11000
Takahashi FSQ 106N @ F5
Mount: Takahashi EM200 and Baader filters

Data:
Lum 11 x 600
Red 8 x 600
Green 6 x 600
Blue 5 x 600
Ha 19 x 600

Larger versions on the gallery

LRGB version - total imaging time for LRGB = 5 hours

HaLRGB version - total imaging time with Ha added = 8 hrs 10mins

Mac

MarkS

Carole,

That's an excellent LRGB Helix and you've processed really well. Do you have a larger version?

You've clearly captured some good Ha data revealing the loops etc.  Though I think the HaLRGB version is possibly a bit too red.  That said, I've never tried adding Ha to LRGB!

Your LRGB version makes an interesting comparison to the 2.5 hours of Helix I captured with the Canon and Bananascope here at High Halden this time last year:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2012/helix.html

Well done - you've got a great image there!

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mac.

Hi Mark, there are larger versions on the gallery as stated but I have added them here for ease.  I posted these from my laptop this morning at Les Granges and the laptop would only open one internet page of OAS at a time which meant I had to keep closing the post to go into the gallery to add links and time was pressing on and every-one was busy packing while yours truly was faffing around on the laptop, so had to stop.

Arrived home late this evening.

I do agree with you that the Ha version is a bit too red, but as I was processing this Ha version with Olly I thought I should go along with what he suggested, especially as I wasn't familiar with what the final HaLRGB version was supposed to look like.

LRGB larger version:
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10047/Helix_LRGB_CROP.png

HaLRGB larger version:
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10047/Helix_Final_Crop_HaLRGB.png

Carole

Carole

Olly has read this thread and says that the red is correct as the colour is balanced and that is what you get adding Ha to LRGB in this object.  

This is the Ha version which shows an extra loop not normally seen and Olly got very excited about this.  I've pulled a bit more out since I got home and may try a re-combine with the LRGB.

Link to larger version:
http://cdn.astrobin.com/images/f16f11d3-56b6-4b9f-801d-b3a0173de7d4.png

Carole

Carole

Revised HaLRGB image tweaked by me:

I made a mistake about the imaging time, it was actually just under 7 hours on the Ha and 5 hours on the LRGB, so 11 hours 50minutes in total, my longest image ever. 

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

That's even better now.  Definitely a stunning image!

I love those Ha outer loops.

Mark

julian

Carole

Many thanks every-one.

I too am very please with this.

Carole

JohnP

Very deep - your last reprocess has really improved the image - Nice one,  John

PS - I remember getting this when I went to Olly's in 2008 - It was really windy & low down in South - just skirting the mountains - I only got 3 x 300 secs with my little Atik 16 but it was still great to get - I must say though your image is fantastic...

John.

Carole

Thank you John, I think we were very lucky with the weather. 

Carole