• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M57 Ring Nebula at DSC

Started by MarkS, May 25, 2009, 19:26:47

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Most of us observed M57 visually at DSC - well here is the image.

32 x 5min exposures.  Modified Canon 350D on Celestron C11 with F6.3 reducer and using CLS filter.  Guided on an EQ6 using a 300mm lens with x2 converter and modified Toucam.  This is a crop of the stacked image - it has not been scaled.

I've also produced an extremely stretched version of the same data which just begins to show another ring encircling the main one:
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/ring220509stretched.jpg

Mark

Mike

Wow! Nice image Mark. Lovely detail you've got there.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Jim

Lovely Mark. There's a nice spiral in your stretched image. Is it IC1296?

JohnP

Yep very nice Mark.... Spiral galaxy looks excellent in stretched image & outer halo showing nicely as well. Well done! Stars a little elongated - Is that guiding issues...?

Very good though - John

MarkS

Yes, Jim - it's IC1296

John, yes the stars are a little elongated.  Examining the inter-frame drift on the subs it looks to me like some kind of flexure issue.  But I don't know where.

Mark

Fay

Very nice, Mark, great colours!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Quoteit looks to me like some kind of flexure issue

Oh dear the dreaded flexure strikes again...!!!!

Mac

Rocket Pooch

Very colourfull, gave you run a decon on it?

RobertM

That's very nice Mark and tremendous for a DSLR.  As Chris has mentioned a small amount of deconvolution should bring out a little more detail.

MarkS

That is the decon version - I can't extract any more detail from it.  I'm pretty pleased with the result given what a small object it is.

Mark

The Thing

Superb, I am going to use it as a benchmark for reprocessing mine. I haven't got colour in the same places as you but it's there in the RAW files. Another go, other hour :}

Mike

To be able to see both central stars is amazing.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan