• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cocoon Nebula

Started by Fay, Sep 17, 2007, 22:17:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Well, a lot better next day. 10 x 300 secs. Was 16 subs but I had not realised I had a lot of dew on scopes.

Took me over 8 hours to learn how to do LRGB in PhotoShop, today, have just finished from 1 pm!! Not sure if colour is correct.

Take note, Jim.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Miriam

Now I see what I need to aspire to!!

Miriam

Fay

Thanks Miriam. It looks a lot better on the laptop, as usual.

Fay

Rick

Colourful. I'm a little puzzled by the red, which looks as if it might be slightly displaced? There are rather a lot of red objects about five o'clock from bright objects. Might be worth a check...

Fay

Probably needs better alignment, Rick.

Fay

Rocket Pooch

Hi Fay,

Well done, it looks like all the subs are goog and all that is needed is a little more knowledge in processing.  One tip would be to align the LRGB in AA before it goes into Photoshop then all the channels will be 100% aligned, also it loooks like the darks are not subtracted from one of the channels, L if I had to guess.

But, its a great shot if you look around the web for the cocoon you will not see many better.

Chris

Fay

It was a right pain trying to align RGB.
I put B & G into PS into the new RGB channel, tried to align them & then added the R & tried to align that with what had been done. Not sure if this is the correct way. If there is an easier way in AA that would be great. The darks were subtracted from the L, I did not subtract them from the RGB's!!!!!

Fay

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Ok what you should do is open the RGB

Turn the R into an RGB image (this is assuming you have opened them as FITS, if not ignor this)

Align each channel.

Then add an adjustment layer called channel mixer, this will let you play with the colour.

Then add a new layer

Add the L to this layer and change its property to "Luminance"

Align it and you should be there.

P.S. you must subtract the darks from LRGB not just the L.

JohnP

Fay - that's a really good image & well done on learning how to process - it's not easy. Like others have noticed it definitely looks like there is some mis-alignment issues with the red channel - also the colours may be a little too over-saturated (for my liking). You have come on leaps & bounds in the last few months & this image ranks amongst the best - you should be well chuffed - I know I would with an image like that.

Well done,  John

Mike

Fay at the imaging session on Friday I will show you how to do it in MaximDL - It takes about 20 seconds - Dead easy !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

i would really like that, Mike.

I have redone the processing, but the red is too prominent. I would like to know how to bring up the colours to the correct level.

Fay

Rocket Pooch

I processed the image using AIP4WIN and Photoshop, this is what I got.

Chris

Mike

That's more like it !   :D
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Chris, thankyou! So much better than mine. Just got to brush up on the processing.

Fay