• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter and Ganymede 21 Nov 2012

Started by MarkS, Nov 21, 2012, 23:59:46

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Taken around 21:30 21 Nov 2012.

DBK21AU04 camera on Celestron C11 with 2x Barlow at 15 frames/sec captured in ICCapture with Y800 lossless codec.
This image used 1000 best frames from 3000.  Stacked in AutoStakkert and wavelets applied in Registax.

Carole

Very nice Mark, you've got the GRS bang in the middle with junior not far behind.
Nice lot of detail.

Carole

MarkS

The seeing was reasonable but not brilliant.

The Skippy Sky seeing forecast indicated there would be reasonable seeing aound the time of red spot transit and then it would deteriorate.  This is precisely what happened. 
Meteoblue indicated excellent seeing all night - this was very over-optimistic. 
7Timer indicated really bad seeing all night - over-pessistic.

JohnP

looking good Mark - Moon transit very nice & detail good - John

Fay

Very nice indeed Mark Is Skippy Sky an aussie forecaster?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Looks very good Mark, loads of detail. It didn't look clear enough here to have a go.

Any idea about the halo effect around the planet? Looks to me like not enough alignment points near the edge.

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
Very nice indeed Mark Is Skippy Sky an aussie forecaster?

That's the one.  But it gives forecasts for Europe as well. 
Go to http://www.skippysky.com.au/Europe/
then click on England then click on seeing then click on the forecast time.

Quote from: The Thing
Any idea about the halo effect around the planet? Looks to me like not enough alignment points near the edge.

That might well be the case.  I just did a quick process on some data that looked reasonable.  I've also got another couple of hours of data to trawl through - I would have had more but a cloud came across and blew up the guiding.  But in any case, the seeing degenerated quite a lot later so I think the best data was (luckily!!) around the time of the GRS transit.  

So I'm still waiting an opportunity to do a complete 10 hour animation ;-)