• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Iris nebula taken from Kelling

Started by RobertM, Sep 27, 2012, 13:46:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Needs a lot more subs but this is the best I can do for now.  34 x 120s unfiltered with the C11 hyperstar and unguided NEQ6.

Link to a larger version: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8042/8029517473_6599d1afe4_h.jpg

TFL
Robert

MarkS

An excellent result!

Your dust has come out very well and your processing has done a good job of distinguishing it against the background.

Iris Nebula is a great target for demonstrating the power of your new imaging setup.  You have just over one hour total exposure - incredible image for such a short time.

Personally I would increase the colour saturation a bit but that's only a matter of taste.

Mark

RobertM

Thanks Mark.  I have to say I agree with you about the saturation.  Even though I did boost it a bit it still looks like I need a bit more.  I also have another 30 mins in 30s subs that I'm considering adding (if I can work out a way to do that without adding noise).

Cheers
Robert

Carole

Love the brown dust Robert.  I know you are using a hyperstar but what camera were you using with the hyperstar.  sorry if this is a dumb question but I am not quite sure how the hyperstar works and am assuming a small camera is plugged into the hyperstar itself.

Also I agree with Mark these are excellent results for such short subs.

Carole

RobertM

Thank you Carole.  The camera is a Starlight-Xpress SXVF-M25C one shot colour which has an APS size Sony sensor.

The hyperstar works by using the C11 main mirror and a special corrector lens.  The corrector lens replaces the normal SCT secondary mirror in the corrector plate at the front of the OTA so instead of being f/10 it becomes f/1.9.

Robert

Carole

Quoteinstead of being f/10 it becomes f/1.9.

Wow, I knew it reduced the focal ratio, but I didn't know it was by that much.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Wow, I knew it reduced the focal ratio, but I didn't know it was by that much.

At F/1.9 it collects photons more than twice as quickly as the Tak Epsilon at F/2.8 which itself is twice as fast as "fast" F/4 scopes.

JohnP

That's excellent - really liking ALL that brown stuff - really deep - John.

MarkS

Your 1 hour of data seems to have come out better than 4 hours on my Tak:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2010/iris_2010.html

I might try reprocessing to see if I can bring out more in the image but it's a very thought provoking comparison ...

mickw

That looks really good Robert, so much dust
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Fantastic Robert, such short subs as well!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

I like that a lot, would be tempted to put another hour or two into it then it will be a super image.

Hmm no do I go out and but a OSC and C11?  Would work well from my place.

Better not though or winter will be cloudy.

MarkS

Quote from: Rocket Pooch
Hmm no do I go out and but a OSC and C11?  Would work well from my place.

Yes - I'm also tempted ...

mickw

If you get stuff now while the weather is crap anyway, the weather gods might get confused and clear the skies and make the wind go away  :lol:

Rocket Pooch

mickw

The man who dies with the most toys wins  ;)

RobertM

Sounds like I've got some catching up to do :o

Thanks for the good comments.

Mark, I'm not sure of the 4:1 ratio on hours but I can tell you that the M25 wipes the floor with the 450D.  It's not just about focal ratio and sensitivity but also because the s/n ratio on the camera is just so much better, I can pull more data out of images.