• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Patrick Moore 1923 - 2012

Started by Ian, Dec 09, 2012, 13:11:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Carole

Really sad news, he did a huge amount for Astronomy and I believe he is was our Patron.

Carole

Ian

mickw

Shame, he brought astronomy to the common people.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Thats is really sad news. He brought astronomy to the masses and made it popular. He will be sadly missed.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JonH

A great loss, he did so much for astronomy.
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

NigelG

Deeply saddened by the news.

Mike

I wonder what will happen with the Sky at Night program? I wonder if they will carry on with new presenters or end it and create something new?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

They've got to continue the program, it's too well established to just dump.

Really, to cancel the program would be an insult to Patrick and all he worked for.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

He had a good, interesting life right up to the end
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

PhilB

A real loss to amateur astronomy. The Sky at Night programme would make a fantastic memorial to him. Sadly, I don't think it will survive.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mike

I agree it should continue but they should completely revamp the formula.

JohnP

Only just heard the news.... Had my head in a bucket today.... :-( Really upset - only last night I was watching Sky at night on catch up & thinking how amazing he was to be still presenting at his age..

He will be sadly missed..

Rest In Peace.

Carole

QuoteI wonder what will happen with the Sky at Night program? I wonder if they will carry on with new presenters or end it and create something new?

I woudln't be surprised it Chris Lintott is asked to carry on with it as he has been his "side kick" for so long and every-one is now used to him.

Carole

The Thing

I met him a couple of times and am deeply saddened.  :cry:

I suspect 'they' will ditch Sky at Night which is quite academic in flavour in favour of more Brian Cox-esque Stargazing Live style lowest lower common denominator programming.