• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC this weekend

Started by mickw, Sep 09, 2010, 10:37:57

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Just got off the phone from Jackie

It has been raining - there's a surprise - but it has soaked away quite well so pitches should be OK.

Depending on what weather report you read, it will be anything between partially cloudy to occasional showers with Saturday looking the better night.
I take full responsibility for the rain as I have been making a list of suitable targets to image with the Burgess - Sorry  :oops:

I will be going regardless as it doesn't matter if I put the van away when it's wet - I will also have my friend Mr. Beer to keep me company  :lol:

I can also play with my new toy  ;)

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

I'll be there regardless. 
I also created a list, so I must share the blame.

mickw

QuoteI also created a list, so I must share the blame.

Cool, we can compare lists and get shit faced while it's raining  :lol:

PhilB

Well that's at least four of us. See you there.  :P
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

MarkS

I should arrive between 19:30 and 20:00 Friday

Mark

mickw

I should be there around midday.

Liz is also a possibility just for Friday, but I don't think she has internet access at the moment. 

mickw

It is today isn't it ?  :oops:

:D

I'm here - Pitches 13 to 15 the same as last time.
Ground firm and dry, weather cloudy and windy.
2 other tents and 2 caravans here also but on the other side of the field with nothing along the North or West edges.

When I've finished my coffee and cheese rolls. I might take some images of a great display of notsolucent clouds  :-?

Rocket Pooch

Have fun guys, we have had to put up with too much rain this week.

mickw

Any imaging Chris ?

Looks like tonight's going to wet here at Rother Valley also - I've just had my first one  ;)

Nige

Don't think I will be able to make it this time but if I do it will be Saturday night - fingers crossed might see you all there

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

We did get 4 out of 6 clear nights with one being exceptional, I beleive we all got some images so watch this space.

Left Olly at 10 this morning got home after dropping Jim off at 9:30pm, not bad.

Chris

P.S. I have never never eaten so much in my life....

Tony G

Me neither, :o
Never, never have I seen so many vegetables in one week, I thought they had moved Borough Market to the mountains. ;)
It was like 'Wind in the Willows' without the 'Willows' :D
But still a great holiday. ;) Thanks

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

It was windy in the Gite, and I was in the same bedroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fay

Chris turned into Caligua!!!! Every time I saw him, he was lying flat on the couch being stroked & scratched, when he should have been at his imaging post!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

As you've probably heard, no imaging was done at DSC this weekend.

Friday night had some clear patches from time to time but not sufficient to do any imaging - we stayed up late having a lot to drink instead - a whole bottle of weird French stuff was consumed!

Saturday was cloudy all day with frequent light rain from the afternoon onwards.  Cloudy in the evening as well.

However, it was good to see some new faces at DSC:  Phil and Susan and also Brian.  Hope to see you there again next time!

Mark

mickw

Wot Mark said  :)

Brian staying tonight and skies look like they will be clear at last  - Shouldn't be allowed  :(

mickw

Fay, I'm not sure that I really want to know, but who was stroking and scratching Chris ?   :o

Chris, you should have made the gite sleep outside - lesson learnt for next time  ;)

Ian

I thought it was Tony?

We're there any other Gites on the trip?

Fay

Mick, hope you are not getting Brian drunk!!!!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

QuoteMick, hope you are not getting Brian drunk!

Tried - failed

Sensible people should be banned from DSC  ;)

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Fay on Sep 12, 2010, 07:01:57
Chris turned into Caligua!!!! Every time I saw him, he was lying flat on the couch being stroked & scratched, when he should have been at his imaging post!!!!!!

I was imaging, if you remember I just start the kit and walk away!  Not too worried about looking at the guiding all the time.  I think Jim won the award for most stared at computer.

DSC'rs, shame about the weather, we also consumed the French stuff during our trip, it had a strange effect on some people!!

mickw

One good thing came out of the weekend, with all the rain that came down last week, plus the top up over the Friday and Saturday, the pitch seemed  quite well drained.

mickw

Wonder how Brian got on last night, was it as clear as we thought it would be ?

MarkS

I was out imaging Uranus and it looked pretty clear to me.