• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Report from Kelling Heath

Started by MarkS, Apr 26, 2009, 17:17:43

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Just back from Kelling Heath - had a great time - weather was excellent and the site has excellent facilities.  I was there for Friday and Saturday nights  - both nights were completely clear but very chilly.  The sky is very dark (better than Tuesnoad and Romney/Dungeness) but light pollution is still evident on long exposures.  The well-appointed toilet, shower and washing up blocks (with temporarily blacked out windows) had under-floor heating  so it was a great way to warm cold feet up!  Lots of sunshine during the day.  Great opportunities to talk to other imagers and observers about various setups.  Had a look through some massive dobs (16-20inch) owned by members of the Norwich AS - M51 has never looked so good visually.

I took 5 hours of M101 the first night and 5 more hours of M51 the second.

I'll put some photos on the forum in due course.

Thanks must go to Carole for arranging this for us - such a shame you couldn't get there!

Would I go back - definitely! 

Mark

JohnP

Excellent - can't wait to see the images... Your m51 was brill already can't imagine what another 5 hours from KH has done to it...! You were certainly blessed with the weather which makes a nice change..

Carole

Glad it was successful, have been wondering how it was all going.

I have postponed my booking to September rather than lose the money, but I gather September is already fully booked (but I'll check).  I won't be wanting to go on my own, so I'll see if I can further postpone whenhopefully some members will want to go with me either next spring or the September after if they want a change of sky.

How did you find the rules and regulations, was it restrictive?

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carolepope
How did you find the rules and regulations, was it restrictive?

The rules (i.e. no lights) were O.K.  In fact they were pretty much essential given that there were so many people there all wishing to view the night sky.

But I did harbour a secret desire to launch a Khoom Fay with dangling lengths of burning magnesium ribbon across the campsite - just to hear the shouts of anguish!

Mark

Ian

luckily for OAS, we were represented by a fine example of an astronomer who is in complete control of his perverse urges. I can think of a good number of names who would have given in ;)

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Delphine

A big thank you to Carole who organised the Kelling Heath trip - it was wonderful and I am certainly up for going again. 
I will be writing a report and putting it on the website.

Cheers
Delphine

RobertM

Just recovered from sleep deprivation I think !!   The weekend was even better than I thought, great company, clear skies, excellent weather  and an excellent venue.  A big thankyou to the Norwich AS who organised the event and provided the cluster of big Dobs that they shared with everyone.  Visually seeing the dust lanes in M51 and the Leo triplet - what an experience !

Would certainly look forward to going again, it would really good to go to the September event to see the other half of the sky but I'd put up with next April !!!

Thanks again to Carole for organising it and we're all sorry that you couldn't be there to enjoy it with us.

Robert

Sue

Yes. A brilliant weekend. Great company and great skies : )

Thank you for all your efforts in organising the trip Carole, and I was asked to pass on a big thank you from Carol of Rugby A S who was thrilled to be able to take your pitch at short notice.

I have a group picture and picture of Carol talking to Mark which I have tried in vain to post here. Will have another go after lunch!

Fay

I think Kelling was a bit muddled at who was taking that space. They told me 2 other names!

Sue

There seemed to be several empty spaces at our end of the red field throughout the weekend and lots of pitches in the yellow area - although that was nearer to the main buildings of the center and perminent cabins.

Fay

Well, will be there next time!!!!!!! I hope

Carole

Having a go at uploading Sue's photos.

The group that went

Various views of the campsite and the sea as viewed from Kelling Heath

Carole

Carole

Bugger, done the thumbnails again.
I never learn!!!!

Try again:

the Group that went

the Sea from KH campsite

The campsite

Morecampsite

Carole

Sue

Well done Carole - succeeded where I failed!