• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M31 from DSC

Started by mickw, Oct 11, 2010, 20:40:57

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Not as good as I'd hoped - need longer or a load more subs but as I'm on a roll........................
Burgess 91 600mm f6.6 - Unmodded Canon 350D
20 x 180s exposures @ iso 800 unguided
Lights, Darks, Flats & Bias stacked in DSS
Levels & Curves PS Elements
Saturday night

Urge to guide is getting stronger

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Mick,

Which night did you take this? 

This isn't as good as your Pleiades but the Andromeda Galaxy is a surprisingly difficult target to get right.

Anyway, well done - it's great to see you imaging!

Mark

mickw

Thanks Mark
This was taken during the fog and drink session on Saturday

Rocket Pooch

Well done another good start :-)

Mac

excellent.

even got the other two as well m110 & m32

thats very good for unguided as well.

there's now stopping you now

mickw

Had a go at reprocessing this - Darks didn't kill amp glow - subs too long for unguided at 3 min.

The Thing

That's looking really good Mick, you're going to have to get the guiding thing started!

MarkS

Mick - that's a great reprocess. 
Much better than the first.
The processing will make or break an image and I think you've definitely made the most of your data here.

Don't worry about the prominent amp-glow - the darks don't quite match the lights but it's not a big problem - there are other tricks I know of to use to isolate it and subtract it.

Mark

RobertM

That's a good reprocess, yes there are few problems but you can't expect to get everything spot on first time.  It's an iterative process.  Mastering your equipment, calibration and image processing all take time.  The good thing is you've made a great start.  I'm certainly looking forward to your first guided image!

Robert

Mike

Much better Mick. The focus is off on the original image so it will never be fantastic, but despite that it's darned good.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

Nice processing Mick,