• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

ISS passes

Started by Tony G, Aug 31, 2010, 19:09:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Some lovely bright passes over the next week, and many are directly overhead (or near as damn it)
Just look at www.heavens-above.com, and add your location, and click on ISS on the main page. This will give you the time (CET, so just take away an hour of the time shown) if you click on the time it will show the path which the ISS will take above your location at that particular time.

I know most people will already know this, but this is for newcomers, and persons that stray onto this site. (Mark, like APOD  :D )

Tony G  
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Tony G

Sorry Rick. :oops:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

Quote from: Tony G on Aug 31, 2010, 19:27:23Sorry Rick. :oops:

Hijacked! ;)

If you've got suitable radio kit, try listening in on 145.8 MHz FM as ISS goes over...

Mike

Ever heard anything Rick? If so, do you record it?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

I really hope it sounds like a astronaut saying "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Rick

Quote from: Mike on Aug 31, 2010, 22:03:50
Ever heard anything Rick? If so, do you record it?
I've heard NA1SS calling a few times, including two calls on the 21:30(-ish BST) pass earlier this evening. I've not, however, had any means of audio-recording anything, and it tends to be a bit one-sided, as the ISS side comes through loud-n-clear but the other end of the conversation's very often over the horizon and out of earshot. I think I might (after much button-pressing and dial-twiddling) have got my radio sorted well enough to try answering a call next time...

There's a variably accurate recent AMSAT activity page at http://oscar.dcarr.org/

Rick

Quote from: Ian on Aug 31, 2010, 22:41:08
I really hope it sounds like a astronaut saying "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

There's this video from K2FR recorded back in July...

Rocket Pooch

Love the title Tony, when did you eat it, I was expecting something a little more smelly on this thread.