• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observing Officer Wanted

Started by Mike, Dec 14, 2009, 09:53:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I have told the Committee that if someone is willing to take over from me I would like to stand down as Observing Officer in 2010. This is so I can have more time to concentrate on my online business.

Therefore, if anyone is willing to take on the role it will become available from Feb onwards. Contrary to popular belief, the Observing Officer does NOT have to have a knowledge of the sky. The only requirements are :-

• Hold the keys to the gate at High Elms
    Attend most of the observing sessions to allow entry and supervise
    Organise observing session dates for the following year
    Present at the meetings on the following months sky events

That is it. The presentation at the meetings does NOT have to be a fancy Powerpoint presentation. That was simply the method I chose to use. Most of the time Jeff did his presentation from a piece of paper. You can therefore use ANY method you so wish. I would be happy to produce powerpoint presentatations for you if you provide me with the content.

I will still be hosting the Imaging Sessions (though it would be nice if other peopel could offer to host at their houses for a change) and will also be producing TOAST and the Calendar, as they are not related to the Observing Officers post.

I know of several people that would be ideal for the role but it is up to YOU to come forward and offer yoru services. If you are interested on taking up the baton then please send me a PM or speak to me at the next obs. session or meeting.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Simon E

I would love to, but do not have enough experienced at the mo, I would like to offer my home, for imaging nights as well, but as I have a potential problem with my rear extension at the moment and it looks as if it will need to be pulled down and rebult then I don't have enough room at the mo. In the summer yes, when all the work is finished.  :cry:

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

RobertM

I can't help out as the Observing Officer but I'm more than happy to do some more Imaging Sessions, any other volunteers?

Rick

Carole has also offered to host an imaging session.

We are still looking for someone prepared to take on the role of Observing Officer.

Simon E

I can open up a gate hold keys and sort out dates and even do some powerpoint presentations, if you have no-else, however will have to speak to Mike about what sort of content will be included in the reports.

It will MAKE me attend every observering sessions anyway.

To be honest I want to get involved more in the club anyway

Si

SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Mike

Just a reminder about this please. If anyone is interested then please send me an email.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike