• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M45 Pleiades Cluster 27-11-11

Started by Carole, Nov 29, 2011, 12:11:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

My 2nd image from that lovely clear night on Sunday.

31 x 300sec 800 ISO, Modified Canon 450D, CLS filter
Skywatcher ED120 Pro, guided with PHD and ST 80
Using APT for the first time but PHD was not linked to APT (not got that far yet, tried to link it later and the whole thing froze on dithering, I don't think I have quite set it all up correctly yet, so a job for next time).

Processed in DSS and PS CS3

One interesting feature is the long spike on Alcyone.  I seem to be starting to get long single spikes on bright stars (see the HH image), but this one is the longest yet and I don't have a spider.  I have examined all the subs and every one has it (very faintly) so it can't be a satellite.

mickw

Have you cropped and rotated the image ?
Does the line correspond with a plane of the camera ?

Nice image by the way
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

No Mick, this is exactly how is came out the the camera, no cropping or rotation at all.

Carole

RobertM

Quoteand I don't have a spider

Have you checked recently ?  If the spike's been growing then the spider must be doing well ;)  Tony knows all about spiders but wouldn't recommend them; spiders and scopes don't mix very well...

Robert

MarkS

Which HH image are you referring to?  The Andromeda Galaxy image?

Was the orientation of the spike the same?

Carole

HH = Horsehead.

No the orientation of the spike is slightly different.
DSLR not moved between the two images.

Carole

MarkS

It's probably a stray hair or similar moving around, probably inside the camera body or maybe around the flattener.

Mark

Carole

Well it's strange that it seems to locate itself right over a bright star twice on the same evening in different places.

Anyway, I quite like a few spikes, so I'm not complaining.  So no scientific/photographic explanation then? 

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Well it's strange that it seems to locate itself right over a bright star twice on the same evening in different places.
Anyway, I quite like a few spikes, so I'm not complaining.  So no scientific/photographic explanation then? 

The hair does not have to be directly in the path of the star. Each star on the CCD has a cone of light going to it from the lens.  Every star whose cone of light is cut by the hair will inherit a diffraction spike.  So the futher the hair is from the CCD, the more stars it will affect.  At the extreme, a hair (or spider) in front of the scope will affect every star.  The fact that only 1 star is affected indicates that the hair must be reasonably close to the CCD.

mickw

Carole

Well at least it saves putting an artificial spider in front.  I always envied people with Newtonians and SCTs as they always get spikes and I didn't and I quite like them but hesitate to put them on artificially.

Carole

mickw

Quotebut hesitate to put them on artificially.

Quite right too, for they are Satan's Spikes  :flame:

Carole

Ah, well I had better not post this one I tarted up for the Home page on my website then.  :cheesy:

mickw

Oi I said Satan's Spikes, not Santa's Spikes

Merry Christmas  :lol:

Carole