• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Markarians Chain - Deep Sky Challenge

Started by RobertM, May 20, 2008, 21:29:58

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Well it the last day to post something in the challenge before the next meeting so luckily I managed to stay up and catch this: http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/displayimage-474.html

Conditions were pretty bad for faint objects and I should have called it a day after the first sub - I'd really like to do this one again in dark skies.  Yes I know I missed off most of NGC4477 to the top left but you can just see the edge if that counts...

Not a patch on Marks excellent image but I think it's half reasonable given the conditions none the less.

JohnP

That's pretty good Robert - Well done under such difficult conditions - Did you use a camera lens on the front of the H9..? John

RobertM

It was taken with the Sky 90 with F4.5 reducer corrector.  It really needs double the resolution to do the view some justice as image resolution was around 4 arc sec per pixel.  I've been resisting for a while but I need more pixels for this combination so maybe it's time for a DSLR or a bit of luck on the second hand market.

JohnP

oherrrr...!!! Pixel Fever... Quick get an antidote or a bank loan....... :lol: John

Mike

Nice image Robert. You've done well to go so deep in these crappy skies and the warm weather.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

If you're thinking of trying second hand be aware that the Canon EOS 300D is extremely slow to write a RAW image to the memory card (approx 7sec) and also has a relatively high read noise (12e/pixel).

I'm seriously considering upgrading to a Canon EOS 350D - it is much faster to write RAW images and the read noise is much reduced (7e/pixel) - it also has 8 Mpixels instead of 6 Mpixels.

In general be wary about a high number of Mpixels - the more you have, the fewer photons hit each one and then the lower the signal/noise ratio.

The EOS 350D outperforms the later 400D (for astrophotography):
http://astrosurf.com/buil/400d/400d.htm

Fay

That is good, Robert, that Moon was very close to that area. I was poised to do it myself, but was not sure if I had the best area on the chip, which is smaller than yours.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!