• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Newly Registered Members

Started by Ian, Sep 22, 2004, 21:58:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

We've had a couple of "interesting" registrations. Someone passing a link to a french ringtone supplier, and someone selling music players.

If you are genuine members, please post a "hello".

Thanks.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

thanks Mike, I nearly deleted your account. Close one that :wink:

The three other accounts have been deleted. if they reappear, then bans may be forthcoming. Hopefully this won't be necessary, but we'll have to see.

I'll look into ways of validating people, but does anyone else think that making bogus registrations to bbs is about the least effective way of marketing something going? I'll reserve my true feeling about this sort of spam because I didn't activate the naughty words filter...

Rick

Do later versions of phpBB have additional features that might help?

Rick

Let's take this discussion to Behind the Scenes.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2004-09-24 11:20 ]

Ian

lets see how much of a problem this becomes. We need to balance accessibility with privacy etc...

Rick

Is there any way we can insist that folks joining the forum enter a little more than a username and a website? Most of the spammer-types only seem to go that far.

Ian

but I'm enjoying "whack-a-mole" :wink:

Rick

:evil: :razz:

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2004-11-18 17:28 ]

Sand-Dancer

Hi there,

New to the site and I am impressed, mind you that's not too difficult  :lol:

You ask new members to post a "greetings - this is me" type of post, but where? If you had an introductions section, (probably making myself look a fool here, but I can't find one), then we would know where to post to.

Tony G

Welcome aboard Norm :wink:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Welcome aboard Norm. You will find us all a knowledgeable and friendly lot here.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Another new member signing on

Hello from Mac.

Thursdays meeting was very interesting, keep up the good work.

javascript:emoticon(':o')

Mike

Hi Mac and welcome to the Forum.

Tony G

Welcome Mac,
next months meeting should to good as you can see what certain individuals from the society do in their spare time.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson