• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

QHY5 Problem

Started by MarkS, Jan 09, 2011, 10:40:50

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I had a problem with my QHY5 guide camera last night - the laptop wouldn't find the camera.  I then noticed the USB lead was hanging off the back of the camera so I plugged it back into the camera - I did this while the USB lead was still plugged live into the laptop - probably a bad idea!

Anyway whenever I now plug it in, it tries to install the drivers and fails - saying it can't find the necesary software - whether I say install automatically or search in the specific location where the installation software put them.

I tried installing it on a PC that has never used this camera before - again I got the same result.  Could it be that I've broken the camera?  The power light still comes on when I plug it in.

Mark

MarkS

Aha - I may know what the problem is.  The same problem as in this thread:
http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?topic=1588.0

My camera device ID (which has become USB\VID_04B4&PID_8613) does not match the IDs in the .INF file that does the installation.

Apparently a voltage change to the camera can erase the internal EEPROM, resetting all its data and making it uninstallable.

I'll email the manufacturers - they have a program that can fix it.

Mark

Mac

That doesnt sound too good, :!
hopefully a firmware reflash will sort it.

Mac.

Carole

Oh dear, and I just E mailed you to tell you how well I got on with my new QHY5 last night, I wish I had read this thread first, bit like rubbing salt into the wound. 

Not like you to have a technical problem Mark.  I have a disc for installing my QHY5 drivers, would it help for you to borrow it?

Carole

MarkS

QHY sent me a program and instructions to reflash the EEPROM - very helpful and prompt service. 

Once the EEPROM was flashed the camera then found the drivers on the laptop (after unplugging and replugging the USB) and re-installed itself.  All working perfectly again!

They also sent some instructions to permanently write protect the EEPROM by cutting a track on the PCB - I don't think I'll do this though!

If you have a QHY5, make a note of this issue - it may come in useful one day!

Mark

The Thing

Hi Mark,

I see on the QHY downloads page there is a firmware  update for the QHY5. Is this the firmware you used? There is an install program for it but as far as I can work out it just puts a file in the QHY program folder. I have read this update reduces the lines on the viewed images and produces cleaner images.
BTW It seems these lines are artefacts caused by underspecified voltage regulation of the USB feed and are reduced if you use a powered hub or plug straight into the laptop. Someone suggests changing the regulator component but I can't see anyone who has tried it!

Duncan

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
Hi Mark,

I see on the QHY downloads page there is a firmware  update for the QHY5. Is this the firmware you used?

No - the program they sent me was specifically designed to rescue a camera that couldn't be recognised by the PC because the internal EEPROM was erased - the program reflashed the EEPROM.  It's not available on the download page.

I don't know which version of the firmware I use but the one you've pointed out is definitely more recent than mine.

Mark

The Thing

So the question is how does this more recent downloadable firmware load to the camera? Is it done every time you connect to the camera (I'm sure I read that somewhere - QHY forum?).

MarkS

Apparently the firmware updates itself when the camera next connects to the computer:
http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?topic=2425.0

Clever stuff!

Mark

The Thing

Certainly is, now I just need a properly clear night to see if it made a difference!