• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

North America Nebula - The Wall

Started by Carole, Nov 12, 2016, 20:05:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This was the image that I struggled with on Guy Fawkes night in my "Trials of Imaging" thread.
As stated I had trailing problems with subs longer than 500secs, so had to do a little bit of cheating on this process, I erased the stars on the 15min image stack using Straton, and then overlaid the 500secs Ha subs which put the stars back.

Get so little time to image these days I didn't want to waste the data.

This is another example of where I probably need dark skies for the Oiii and Siii components, though I have never done such short binned images before, so maybe I should have taken longer subs (was experimenting). Wasted so much time trying different length Ha subs to see where trailing started which prevented me from doing more subs of Oiii & Sii.

First light for my SW130PDS, Atik460EX, NEQ6, PZT
Ha 5 x 900secs + 2 x 500secs
Oiii 3 x 150secs binned
Sii 4 x 150secs binned

Looks better if you don't zoom in. 

MarkS

I like it.  It obviously needs a lot more data but it's looking good.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, yes trying to get enough data is a real problem given the weather.

Carole

julian

That is looking very good Carole.

Carole

Carole

I have brightened and sharpened it up a bit, also tried to reduce the noise.

Carole

Fay

Thats is really nice Carole, you earnt it!!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

JohnP

Nice - there are quite a few hot pixels on full size image?  John

Carole

You're right I had not noticed them. 

Carole

RobertM

That's looking very good Carole.  As John pointed out there are a number of hot pixels but it still shows much promise, you just need a bit of extra data (as we always do).

Robert

Carole

Thanks Robert,

Well hopefully I shall be able to get some more data before Cygnus disappears so I can keep the camera orientated the same.  This should act as a dither, so hopefully will eradicate the hot pixels.

Carole