• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Guiding problems

Started by Carole, Oct 26, 2010, 11:49:14

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

With the QHY, there is 1 x USB to the laptop and 1 x RJ11 direct from the QHY to the mount - PHD guides the mount directly from the camera
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
With the QHY, there is 1 x USB to the laptop and 1 x RJ11 direct from the QHY to the mount - PHD guides the mount directly from the camera

Really?  I didn't realise that - I'm still using my Shoestring GPUSB to connect to the mount and just using the USB lead from the QHY5 to the laptop.

Mark

Carole

Yes I was a bit flumoxed (? spelling) by that and knew Mark had the same set up as me (Mount and guiding kit) and was going to ask him whether he went straight to Mount from camera.  Well so long as it works with my existing cables I don't mind. 

Carole

RobertM

If the mount is controlled from your computer then there is no point in using yet another cable from Guider to the autoguider port on the mount.  Believe me it makes no difference other than to add another cable, in fact you then get into the issues of whether the guider output is compatible with the mount autoguider input.  I needed an adaptor for my Takahashi and in the end I decided that there was no advantage (using either PHD or MaximDL) as the guiding is as good either way.

With autoguider control cable:

1) PC reads autoguider via usb
2) PC sends correction to autoguider via usb
3) Autoguider sets relays/optoisolators for required period via RJ11 cable.
4) Mount moves to correct

Without autoguider cable:

1) PC reads autoguider via USB
2) PC sends correction to mount via USB
3) Mount moves to correct

Hope that helps
Robert

mickw

Thanks for that Robert.
I did think there would be "issues" with both ASCOM and QHY/PHD trying to control the mount but figured the "manufacturers know best".
Although at least there are options to control the mount with or without ASCOM or whatever.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Going back to this, fingers crossed I think I've finally cracked it.  Or at least fingers crossed I have.

Having spent the best part of the last few months tearing my hair out and swapping various bits of equipment etc etc.  I suddenly had a thought that I had Restored my Mount to Factory settings a few months ago (due to it going a bit crazy) and it just occured to me which hemisphere it had put the mount in.  (I've never set up a mount from new, so it did not cross my mind that this might have been re-set).

I checked and found it was not set to either hemisphere it was set to NONE.  I've re-set it to Northern hemisphere and so far it seems to be working fine again now.  So fingers crossed I hope this has now finally fixed it.  It's a wonder it was working at all.

Carole