• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Nice little dew controller kit

Started by Rocket Pooch, May 02, 2010, 20:59:00

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

You could just strip off a lump of old flex
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Flexible speaker wire would also work.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

I'm wondering if it would be any good for controlling a hot wire cutter.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
I'm wondering if it would be any good for controlling a hot wire cutter.

It'll be fine as long as the current is within the specified limit.

Ian

Might have stability issues. Depending on the design the load forms part of the control. The wire won't be significantly inductive, but it's resistance may be too low. It'd be worth taking a close look at the spec sheet.

PhilB

For that price I've got to have a go. Placed an order with Rapid today. I'll post the results when available.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

PhilB

Kit arrived yesterday.

Today I went from this:

to this:

to this:

in just under an hour.

Nice simple and easy to build kit. All I need to do now is build some heaters for the 'scope!

(Edit: Added links to full-sized images -- Rick)
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Mike

Could you make those images a bit smaller please they are taking up way too much screen space.

Rick

Quote from: Mike on May 08, 2010, 23:32:11
Could you make those images a bit smaller please they are taking up way too much screen space.
I've added links to the full-sized imges... ;)

PhilB

Quote from: Mike on May 08, 2010, 23:32:11Could you make those images a bit smaller please they are taking up way too much screen space.
Quote from: Rick on May 09, 2010, 09:58:34I've added links to the full-sized imges...

Thanks, Rick, I didn't know you could do that.

Mike, I included only small images as I didn't feel they were of overly great interest. My main message was that from taking the board and components out of it's mailing box to a having a soak testable board took less than an hour. I'll post some larger images of the fully completed unit in due course, if you're interested.

MarkS

Personally I think it's worth buying dew strips instead of making them.  They are not that expensive and you do get a nice finished product.

On the other hand I find the controllers to be overpriced - well worth the effort of making your own!

Mark

PhilB

Which strips are you using, Mark?

Rick

Quote from: PhilB on May 09, 2010, 10:31:27
Thanks, Rick, I didn't know you could do that.

If you edit the relevant message you'll be able to see how it's done. ;)

Mike

Quote from: PhilB on May 09, 2010, 10:31:27Mike, I included only small images as I didn't feel they were of overly great interest.

Phil, I run an electronics business, of course i'm interested. :)

Rocket Pooch

Ok, looks good, I'll put one together soon.

Marks, I really do not like spending £20-30 for a dew strip because it costs about £3 to make one for the 8" SCT and thats at Maplin prices, I also do not take them off so flexing is not an issue for me.  I beleive a cheap dew heater strip for my 8" is about £25 or so.  Have a look at the one I built last week, it only took about 30 minutes to do.

Chris