• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cloud Sensor Project

Started by Mike, Oct 06, 2008, 17:20:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

After some minor modifications I am now getting a temperature difference of around 1 degree between cloudy and clear skies. I noticed over the weekend the difference went the other way during daylight so maybe it will be able to determine clear or cloudy during the daytime too. I must experiment further.

Worked out yesterday how to get the outputs from the sensors uploaded to the internet and I was also working on an applet that will run from my website to take that data and graph it. I will post it up over the next few days to my website and let you know the link so you can also view the output from the device.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

I have sidelined this project for a little while as I have been working on another one. I am sick of foxes ripping up the bin bags in the garden. I don't want a wheelie bin as there is no way of getting it from the front of the house to the rear without it being wheeled through the house first, plus it will onyl get nicked if left out the front of hosue anyway.

So, I have made an anti-fox device. This is an infra-red beam (5m range) that is set just in front of where the rubbish bags are kept. When it detects the beam is broken two little flags drop down and wave vigorously scaring off the fox. That way it is silent and won't annoy the neighbours.

I will post up the Cloud Sensor website by end of the week.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

This may give some ideas , do a google for 'AAG CloudWatcher cloud detector '.  I particularly like the mounting hardware kit... ;)

RobertM

Mike, how close did you get to the finished article ?

Mike

Nowhere. The book came along. I am working on the final chapter so will be finished in about a weeks time.

During the last 6 months though I have been thinking of a new version and will be using a different method for the next version which will be wireless. I will be using the same sensors they use in the long range contact less temperature measurement devices. I am pretty confident I can get the actual sensor down to a cigarette packet size.

RobertM

Thanks for the update Mike, I'll be looking at some observatory automation next year and that's on my list.  Let me know how you get on.

Cheers