• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC - June 3rd to 6th - Blacklands

Started by mickw, May 08, 2011, 17:29:47

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Previously, we also discussed setting up between the toilet block and the entrance.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Hi Mick, not having stayed there before a bit unsure of the spots you are referring to, any chance of posting up a diagram?

Or are you or Fay planning to get there first?

Carole

mickw

Keep an eye on the weather, it's looking a bit breezy, with some wet on sunday  :(

The Thing

What website are you looking on? Don't trust the BBC, they will say it's going to be bad just so no one complains when they get it wrong. Meteoblue and 7timer! show the weather in Henfield is going to be lovely, except in the corner of the field where Micks van is going to pitch up where it will be very gusty with the occasional shower ;).

JohnP

Blimey you on form 2night Dunc .... :lol:..

mickw

Tra la la

I am on a flatish bit of ground in the corner before  the shower block where there used to be a shed with a light on it.  There are a couple of shallow dips that I have been trying to fill with water - Just to try and soften it up for me mate Duncan  ;)

It has been pretty windy but seems to have settled at the moment.
Met office threaten high winds, other sites mention wind but not the high gusts, can't get into meteoblue but SAT24 seems to be showing high level cloud.

It is crowded but there is enough room for our lot.
The children are little darlings with their joyous laughing and screaming............................
The Bogeyman WILL get them tonight  :twisted:

All kit set up and drinking has commenced, I don't think I've missed anything  :lol:

MarkS

I was hoping to come down for Saturday night but this is looking very unlikely now ...

Have a good time!

Mark

The Thing

What a great weekend! Got down to Blacklands midday Friday and set up camp near Fay and Mick. The place was quite busy with many families and running children. It was also very breezy with nasty gusts every so often. Alan arrived with his Meade coffee grinder and Mike and Cris set up last - until Robert arrived when he became last. Carole, Doug and ROse were down at the other corner of the top of the field. It was very windy but at sunset the wind died and the skies were clear. There was a sense of anticipation.

Got the recently acquired HEQ5 set up and everything connected up and indulged in usual DSC pastimes i.e. drink whilst waiting for darkness to descend. There were 4 HEQ5s and an NEQ6 set up in a 30ft radius, looked like an inferrometry array or somesuch.

Once we got aligned and imaging Fay thought she had a problem with misshappen stars and gave up, Mick and I were getting some great subs and Mike forgot to connect his EQDIR gadget and thought he had a duff cable. Robert was meanwhile doing hundreds of 30s subs  with his C11 and Hyperstar. We all had fun.

I left my scope taking darks at 3:00am and went to bed. I was woken up a 6:00am by a truck pumping out the drains and then a large dustcart emptying the bins. Not good when you need a lie in (note for next time?).

Saturday Mick and I processed our images and my effort is in a seperate post. It was a lovely day but by tea time it was blowy and cloudy but we were hopefull up until 11:00 when a huge thunderstorm to the south put on a fantastic display for us - and caused us to hurredly pack up our scopes just in case it came our way! A couipe more beers acompanied the lightshow which didn't come anywhere near us afterall.

Packed up Sunday morning expecting it to rain but there was only a couple of spits in the air. A great weekend.

Sunday