• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M33 & M101

Started by Jim, Sep 16, 2012, 21:32:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

What a great weekend at Rother. My first DSC where my kit actually worked! Meade 127, QSI 583, CLS filter. All unguided using Telescope Drive Master. Thanks to Duncan for lending me all the cables I forgot to bring.

M33
44 x 300 secs
M101
36 x 300 secs

processed using Maxim. M33 is very faint so I did push that in PS to bring out some detail. Probably overdid it!

M33 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

M101 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

MarkS

Jim, you should be really pleased with those results!  Difficult to believe they were done unguided - the Drive Master has certainly done a great job.

M101 is a very difficult target because the arms are so faint but yours is looking very good.

M33 is my second favourite galaxy.  Your version of it has come out very well and clearly shows those beautiful bright knots.  I think you're correct when you said you pushed the processing too far.  Either that or the background is a bit too black.

All in all, 2 excellent images which I'm sure will inspire you to a great Autumn and Winter of imaging -weather permitting!

Well done.

Mark

JohnP

Excellent Jim - they came out really well - you must be well chuffed - the TDM seems to be doing a great job - John

Jim

Thanks Guys, yes really pleased to at last get everything working. Glad you all had a good time at Kelling

RobertM

Great result Jim, it's a good feeling when everything comes together isn't it !

I think I'd agree with Mark about the black point.

Robert

JonH

I didn't think such images were possible without guiding, that little box of disco lights was quite impressive! As are these images!
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

mickw

Very nice images Jim particularly 101 but must agree about 33 being a bit overdone.

Looks like you'll have to get a winter tent now then  :)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Jim

And a bigger heater!

Inspired by Duncans M33 I had another go at mine and added some colour subs (5 x 300secs RGB)

M33 by jim_mehta, on Flickr

Carole

Much better process Jim, you have some good data there.
The colour balance is wrong though it looks too yellow.

A few tweaks should put that right and it will be a splendid image.

Your M101 is really good too.

Carole

MarkS

Yes - looks great with the added colour!

The Thing

Looking really good now Jim.

Jim

JohnP

Really good - the colour version does it for me... John.

Rocket Pooch

I like it Jim, the colour one is great, you definitely have a nice image.

Fay

Colour one has a lot more detail showing, camping seems to agree with you!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!