• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M31 with gradient reduction

Started by Carole, Jan 15, 2010, 15:21:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I got a DVD for Xmas called "Making Every Pixel Count" by Adam Block.  So I thought I'd have a go at reducing the gradient from my first DS image M31.  

Obviously it's not good data to start with, but certainly was good practice for gradient reduction.  I think it could still do with some improvement, but "Rome wasn't built in a day".

This is the original

and this is the one I have done to try to remove the gradient.

Carole

Fay

Carole, that is a lot better than the original. I have posted a redone image of M42 today, this is the first one I did with the Canon, may give you a bit of ecouragement       

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/displayimage-4-100.html
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

That's great, thanks Fay. 

Carole

The Thing

That's a great improvement Carole. Looking at your and Fay's reprocessing as examples, there must be a lot of good data buried in our images, it's just very hard to make it visible! Obviously a good tutorial on that DVD.

Carole

Thanks Duncan:
QuoteObviously a good tutorial on that DVD.
Yes, I've only just started looking at it and there's lots on it.  I had been looking for some classes to go to, but had not found anything happening in the near future, and stumbled on this DVD on the internet whilst looking for something else.

Maybe in time, once I've learnt enough from it I can repay some of the help I've been given by demonstrating some of it, but that's a long way off yet.

Carole

RobertM

Looks much better without the gradients Carole.  Looks like you've started on the post processing ladder too :)

Carole

Daniel

Carole, well done on the gradient removal, I always find this the hardest and most annoying thing to overcome when processing. Now you'll be able to pull more detail out of your images without pushing the white point too far!  Excellent start!!!

Daniel
:O)