• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Nice little dew controller kit

Started by Rocket Pooch, May 02, 2010, 20:59:00

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

PhilB

Quote from: Space Dog on May 09, 2010, 18:51:02
Have a look at the one I built last week, it only took about 30 minutes to do.

Chris, I'd rather like to see this. Did you post it?
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rocket Pooch

Its here Phil, http://www.dewbuster.com/heaters/heaters.html one tip get a piece of wood put 4 nails in it 2 left 2 right spaced as per the spacing you want for the + & - pull the wire between the left and right sides and this gives you a nice template to solder the resisters onto.

For the insulation I use gaffer tape and double sided number plate tape (foamy stuff) the foamy tape on the outside.  The wire I used is nickle covered copper wire from maplis its solid and about 1mm thick.

The resisters I used are M330ohm from Maplin, they seems to have gone upto 17p each now, I'm positive they were 8p when I bought a load.

My 8" SCT tool 24 of these, some wire and a connector to the dew heater.

Chris

RobertM

I used the same construction as Chris for two small tapes and they work a treat.  Whether you use resistors or Nichrome wire I'd strongly suggest you use very flexible cable so it stays like that in low temperatures.

Robert
PS. It's 330 ohm resistors....

Mac

Mike

Yeah don't use Maplins, they are at least 10 times more expensive than anywhere else.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

PhilB

Thanks everyone, I'll give building a heater strip a try. One point though, what type of connectors do you use when connecting the strip to the power supply?
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Ian

however, if you use Maplins then they'll be there when you need something for a project, *right now*...

RobertM

Male phono plugs are standard for the leads - yes I know.  Known for their superior current carrying capacity and reliable connection - not!!!

Mike

In other words, choose whatever connector you like. if you are making your own controller and strips then choose something suitable, you don't need to use the standard type connector.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

I like Banana plugs myself. Nice and reliable.

RobertM

Yellow banana plugs would match the scope nicely ...

Mac

Quotehowever, if you use Maplins then they'll be there when you need something for a project, *right now*...

RS is the same, they have direct access trade counters.

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
Yellow banana plugs would match the scope nicely ...

They would match my banana scope VERY nicely  :cheesy:

Rocket Pooch

Ok, its probably £2 for a dew strip then, :-)

Thats means the controller and strip would probably be £13, bargain.  The cheapest pro made one I found for the controller was £29.00.

Home made rules..