• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter over 3 consecutive nights...

Started by JohnP, Jun 11, 2006, 11:30:01

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Here are images of Jupiter taken earlier this week over 3 consecutive nights. It's really tough getting Jupiter this year due to its low altitude (approx 20 deg at max). None of the images are particularly brilliant but at least you can pick out surface features such as the GRS, JRS - The image on the 8th shows a shadow transit of Ganymede & you can also see the moon off to the top right (actually my first time to image moon & jupiter together). All images captured with my MN56 & Toucam with a X3 barlow - The MN56 lacks focal length for good planetary imaging - I have resized the images by 150% over those captured.

Thks,  John.

Rocket Pooch

Hi John,

Good work, I also got some images on the 9th but the seeing was quite bad.

JohnP

Cheers Chris - Interesting comparing your 10 inch & the longer focal length with my 5-inch & the shorter focal length -The images are almost identical.. I think the crap seeing conditions had an awful lot to do with the results - I'd love to see the results from the 10-inch given a dark site, clear skies (no high cloud) & Jupiter being at 50-60 degrees... I just did a quick check on SMP & it looks like we will have to wait until 2012 or so before Jupiterstarts getting higher than 40+ deg... :-(

Oh well, John

Mike

Nice images guys. I have decided when I get a chance I will have a go at Saturn or Jupiter myself with the Vixen.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan