• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

At bloody last I have collimated the 8" F4 newtonian

Started by Rocket Pooch, Aug 23, 2010, 20:30:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Right,

This has been a complete nightmare, that scope was put together really badly so I've re-set all the mirrors and also the finder scope.

For some reason and I don't know why my laser collimator was well out, if you looked through the snout of the telescope and rotated the laser in situ it was drawing a nice circle about 60mm across.

Anyway, the laser got collimated after and hour and it took me another 30 minutes to get the scope close to collimated, now do I risk it and take it to France?

Hmmmmm...

mickw

Quotemy laser collimator was well out

Didn't you use the Cheshire ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

tell me about it, good job you are practicing now Rocket Pooch!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Quotenow do I risk it and take it to France?

or do you risk not taking it... decisions, decisions.... 

Tony G

Quote from: Fay on Aug 23, 2010, 21:49:37
tell me about it, good job you are practicing now Rocket Pooch!

Chris,

You can always practice on mine :oops:..............I meant my 8" :oops:..................NEWTONIAN.
I hate when you write a perfectly innocent comment, and then have to alter, or change it, due to the calibre of persons on this forum. :lol:

Tony G

PS................My newt does need doing, Chris. ;)
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi Mick,

I could not use the Cheshire on this scope because the secondary is soooo big I could not see the thing properly, I'll return it.

Tony, yip we will have plenty of time to collimate the thing in France.

Chris

MarkS

Collimated at last?  That's really good news.

I would take it because, otherwise, you might regret it.  If you don;t use it, you haven't lost anything.  However - take a test star field before you go just to check everything really is set up correctly - F4 is a pig to set up accurately.

Mark