• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A not very good m57...

Started by JohnP, May 19, 2008, 17:13:24

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Popped out last night to test guiding & new dual bar etc. that I have bought. Setup seems a lot more stable & guiding was working OK - at least for 3min subs. I pointed in direction of m57 & took an hours worth of subs. Result looks a tad out of focus & full moon was playing havoc with contrast etc. Anyway thought I'd post result - I need much longer FL to do this justice. You can just make out ic1296 at 2'oclock position..

Cheers,  John.

Fay

Well I think it is good, John.
A least you were pleased with the guiding & your new plate, so that is something you may not have to worry about in the future.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Thks Fay - Still not convinced on guiding - let me go out another two or three times before I say I've got it sussed... :-)

Cheers,  John

Fay

John, I'm not sure if guiding can ever be sussed.
One night it is perfect, you think you have it sorted, & the next,  back to normal, not working properly. We seem to have to do the best we can with what we have on any particular night.  Problems are hard to get to grips with as we can only get outside once in a blue moon!

I'm waxing on a bit here.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Errr, did you say 'not very good' !  I'm not sure how good all your subs are but if you can pick out the spiral arms in IC1296 then I don't think you can grumble too much ...

JohnP

Thks Robert - Well I'll definitely try again when the moon's out the way - I might even try throwing a barlow on - m57 is actually quite bright - I had some issues processing it because whenever I processed for background to show the faint galaxy m57 was totally whited out. Anyway attached is an annotated version - I've cropped ic1296/inverted it & then stretched a lot to try & show galaxy a bit better... It's just about there.....!

Cheers,  John

Rocket Pooch

Oh lardy dar, "I'm not happy but I still got a good M57 and IC1296", oh how times have changed since the home made camera and LXD75 days eh. 

Well done looks good to me, but I'd do a lucy richardson decon on M57 to get the twists out of it, you can do that in AIP you know.

Also, you git IC1296 is a toughy.  Well done another good image, and yes when I drive home tonight if its clear I'll get the camera out.

Chris

JohnP

Cheers Chris - I need you to show me how to effectively use the RL Decon cause I ain't got a clue.... Looks like might be a bit of cloud tonight but not too bad... Would have been nice to have done this image from a dark site without a full moon ...

Ha.. Ha... Sorry couldn't resist adding the message icon...

John

Mike

Nice image John. I think i'll put that up on Thursday if you don't mind.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan