• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Waste of time Last Night, help!

Started by Fay, Sep 03, 2013, 08:56:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Spent 3 hours doing M31, it seemed to be going along ok. started to prepare for taking flats, and, as I have to get the scope pointing to the zenith, due to the flat panel, the drawtube with the QSI attached,  slipped about 3" . that was the end of that. so wasted evening.

Has anyone any idea what I can do to stop this happening? I do seem to recall sandpapering a part of the drawtube, to prevent this problem, not sure, obviously did it wrong!
also how can I fix something on my flat panels so they grip the scope tube, so I can take flats at any angle?

Thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

What a pain - the drawtube slipping!

As for the lightpanel take the "Blue Peter" approach.  Start with one cardboard box and one roll of gaffer tape.  Sandwich the light panel between two sheets of cardboard with a hole cut one side large enough for the scope aperture.  Build a cardboard tube that will fit over the end of the telescope and use gaffer tape to attach it to the flat sandwich you have already made.  Then you just slide the whole contraption over the end of the scope to use it.  It will be lightproof and no-one at Kelling Heath will scream in agony because you've destroyed their night vision.

mickw

Why not just hold the light panel against the scope ?
Start the Flats sequence then just hold the panel in place, and flats taken before you did that will be obvious so dump them
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Well Mark, i do have a old light box, that fitted the ED80 & ZS66, i was going to the shed today to see if it still works.

Mick, I thought about holding the panel in place, but QSI subs take tooooo long, 22secs each on top of the exposure time, 20x22sec + exposure time.

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Why not just hold the light panel against the scope ?

I can already hear the howls of anguish from the farthest end of field at Kelling Heath!!

Fay

yes thinking about that, i would have to get inside a bin liner with the panel   

mickw

:lol: :lol:
They are far too fussy at Kelling

Sorry Fay, I was thinking flats would be as fast as with the Canon

JohnP

Fay, I would be more concerned with fixing drawtube. If it drops when you turn scope vertical then it is too loose. Will only get worse as nights get cooler. You may start getting focus issues...

mickw

Doesn't the drawtube have a locking screw ?

Fay

Yes i tightened as much as possible, but still slipped

Mike

Are you sure you are adjusting the locking screw or friction screw? The friction screw is what you need to tighten. This will be on the bottom of the focusser and will either be a small knob or an allen key.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

just going to look Mike, that is a good point

Fay

sorted out the old light box, dusted it off & it seems ok. also I think i did not tighten the screw enough on the ED80. it is in a awkward position due to the longer dovetail, but i will pay more attention to it next time

mickw

Quote from: Fay on Sep 03, 2013, 12:43:31
sorted out the old light box, dusted it off & it seems ok. also I think i did not tighten the screw enough on the ED80. it is in a awkward position due to the longer dovetail, but i will pay more attention to it next time

Rotate the scope in the tube rings slightly so you can get at the screw - or saw a lump off the dovetail.

Carole

I use something akin to what Mark suggested, lots of carboard, tape and Blue Peter.  

See my equipment page 2/3 of the way down:
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home/equipment

I did flats looking at M16 (low) on Saturday, though I did have to sellotape the lid onto the box as it fell off.  first time I have tried it at an imaging party so was pleased to see the light didn't leak much and annoy any-one.

What scope are you using Fay that the drawtube should slip?  I am sure there is a "fix" for this, but I know what you mean, I used to have the same problem with my old megrez.

Carole