• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Weather forecast for QHY5

Started by The Thing, Feb 22, 2010, 15:57:21

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Thanks to Chris for kicking me to reality over my guiding setup I just bought QHY5 from ModernAstronomy after having trouble imaging any guide stars at the weekend.

The forecast is rain and cloud and snow and mud, but since it was not a very costly camera the weather should improve by the weekend (we should be so lucky!).

MarkS

Mac's photo shows you looking for guide stars during daylight. 
Or was the problem more subtle than that?

Mark

The Thing

I was inspecting the piece of ground just behind the tripod as it felt like I was sinking into the hard standing. :roll:

Carole

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with this, as I was thinking about buying one of these if I could not get the SC3 to behave. (It's caused me a lot of grief that camera).

Carole

RobertM

I would certainly hold off and see how Duncan gets on Carole.  My thoughts on the QHY5 lasted 3 months which is when I swapped it for a Atik 16IC.  A lot of people get on with it just fine but I could not get enough sensitivity out of it, be it the drivers/guide scope or for whatever the reason.  I've been through 5-6 guide cameras seeking nirvana but have perhaps finally found it in the Lodestar...

Robert

Mac

QuoteI've been through 5-6 guide cameras seeking nirvana but have perhaps finally found it in the Lodestar...

Nice piece of kit that loadstar. 8)

Mac.

Carole

The Lodestar was another option I considered.  Nice to hear good reports about it.

Carole

Fay

HOw do you hightlight in blue a comment you may want to refer to?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Well, the QHY5 just arrived, fantastic service from ModernAstronomy! I will let people know how I get on with it.

Fay

Quote from: MarkS on Feb 22, 2010, 16:14:31

Mac's photo shows you looking for guide stars during daylight.  
Or was the problem more subtle than that?

Mark

Thanks Mike.

I thought this was funny Mark
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Dunc remember to bin it 2x2.

Chris

PhilB

Quote from: Duncan on Feb 22, 2010, 15:57:21
.... the weather should improve by the weekend.

Oh, I do hope so ... I should have my new toy by then too!!
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

RobertM

There seem to be a lot of new toys around so I fear for the w/e...

What's your new toy?

Mike

Sorry to report that Mr. Whitmarsh has also bought a new toy.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan