• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Canon 400D - yeah or nay?

Started by The Thing, Nov 07, 2009, 13:50:58

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Help! Should I buy one or not? I haven't been able to find a review or serious comment on the web and I don't want to by an inappropriate DSLR.  It's £199 body only.

I have taken my 350D in to be fixed under warranty but it won't be back for DSC next week.

mickw

I'm using a 400D (10mp) works same as 350 (8mp)

But pixel size is smaller 350=6.4  400=5.7.   I assume this means that the 350 is more sensitive.
I think Mark has details of them both.

Review -
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

larger cells usually mean more sensitive as they can collect more photons. Hence megapixels are not necessarily a good thing for astrophotography. But, newer technology CCD's are becoming more sensitive so it is hard to say.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

The 400D has less amp glow than the 350D.

In all other respects it is a step backwards from the performance of the 350D in terms of astrophotography.

http://www.astrosurf.org/buil/400d/400d.htm

Mark

The Thing

Thanks all, I will keep looking for a 350D.

mickw

Doh !

Hadn't realised how inappropriate the 400 is for astrophotography  :(

OK, sulking now
Also looking for a 350 or something else (newer and probably more inappropriate)

Is there a "league table" for astro cameras ?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Daniel

Hi Mick, theres a pretty good comparrisson chart of different cameras here http://www.astrophotoinsight.com/camera-buyers-guide you'll have to register with the site to use it, though that's not a bad thing, theres some excellent articles available for free download on there anyway, I bought a platinum subscription and it perfectly fills a void left by practical astronomer magazine.

Daniel
:O)

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Hadn't realised how inappropriate the 400 is for astrophotography  :(

Mick,

It's not inappropriate at all - it's an excellent camera and easily beats competition from most other manufacturers.  It just isn't quite as good as the 350D (whose CCD is the curent bargain of the decade in my opinion).

Mark

The Thing

Yeah, but every time I find one the web or phone a camera shop someone has just bought the blooming 350D! I got beaten to the web checkout this afternoon by about 5 seconds as someone in the shop was looking at it right at that moment. Unbelievable. Why can't students buy something else! Why can't Canon start making them again! Rant Rant RRRRANT!

The Thing

Just found a 350D on Amazon for £199. Bought from border-country-books.

mickw

So did I  :o

How many do you think they have  :-?

Joking  -  Sorry   :lol:

Tip - Contact them First thing Monday and let them know you want it NOW.  Marketplace dealers do have a tendancy to drag their feet  :(

mickw

Mark I'll still be using the 400 for a while (until I know what I'm doing) but it's annoying that the 350 was still easily available when I chose the 400 for the extra pixels.

At least now I've read the Astrosurf comparison I understand more about why the 350 is better.

Just don't leave your 350 unattended when you take a nap at DSC  ;)

Mike

I've logged into that page but it still says I am not authorised to view it!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Just don't leave your 350 unattended when you take a nap at DSC  ;)

Yep. My peltier-canon willl be guarded like the crown jewels.  No drinking weird French stuff for me - I'm staying sober!!!

Mark

MarkS

At least now I've read the Astrosurf comparison I understand more about why the 350 is better.

Est-ce que tu parles francais?