• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Meade #884 Deluxe Field Tripod

Started by Simon E, Oct 28, 2009, 18:33:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon E

Does anyone know if this tripod have the same screw arrangement as the celestron sct scopes. Ie can I fit my nexstar onto this tripod.

cheers
si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

mickw

2 x 1/4" whit. bolts approx 4 1/8" (105mm) apart North to South.
The thread will likely be the same, the rest will be down to luck.

There is potential to shift the bolts, but as existing there are heavier/thicker castings at the position of the bolts  :-?

Good luck
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Simon E

My other option could be this one then.
All this is to do with getting a wedge for the 8se.
Now the 4+5se comes with a field tripod with built in wedge(this tripod looks the same as mine, minus the wedge). I can get a field tripod with built in wedge for £99.

But if i go for the "Celestro way" i have to buy the wedge that will bolt onto my field tripod. The trouble with this option is that, just the celestron wedge by itself is over £200 :o

It seems to me that celestron are just after extra money.

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

its going to be very easy to make an adapter plate for the 884 tripod.

Drill a plate to fit the two screws on the 884, and then drill the holes for your telescope on the same plate.

1/2" aluminum will allow you to counter sink the bolt heads. on both sides.

Simon E

Where is the best place to get hold of a small square of 1/2" alum to make up the plate. Is there a local supplier in our area?

Cheers si

Ian

how big do you need it? There's a fair amount of stock kicking around with the members here...