• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

xmas prezzie - should i keep it?

Started by steveparry, Dec 29, 2004, 05:05:00

Previous topic - Next topic

steveparry

hi

hope someone does not mind answering an idiots question...

i have recieved a 500mm x 114mm reflector scope as an xmas prezzie - it is made by Arena, and was purchased from London Camera Exchange - http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/newitem_details.php?new_equipment_id=170
it came with a couple of plossl eypieces and cost £150

I have read alot of warnings regarding cheap scopes, and wondered if anyone knows if this scope is Ok, or if it fits into the category of "completely unsuitable for astronomy"

If it is unsuitable, without meaning to be ungrateful to the present-giver, i could afford to put another £40 or £50 towards a better item (maybe a TAL-1?)

your advice much appreciated

Steve

Mike

Well it looks exactly like my first scope which I still have. I found it great for general astronomy, but the mount was a bit wobbly. Optically it was fine though.

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you wish to observe, then it will be fine as a starter scope and will last you till you want something better (if indeed you ever do).

If you wish to do astrophotography then it will be limited. Saying that, I have some pics on the gallery that were done with a similar scope. For deep sky stuff the tube would probably be fine, but the mount would need upgrading.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan