• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Filter Wheel - Starlight Xpress

Started by Whitters, Jan 17, 2010, 23:00:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Folks, has anyone seen any reviews of the SX filter wheel?

RobertM

Nope.  It looks very well made but unnecessarily thick so if you plan on using it with camera lenses then check the back focus distance first.

Robert

Whitters

RobertM

I have heard that there is not enough clearance inside to use Baader mounted filters (they have a higher profile) so that's something else you may wish to consider/check.

Whitters

Surprising considering that the wheel is some 8mm thicker than most! Well I've put in my order with Bernard now. I had most of my Astronomic filter holders milled down so I could fit them in the filter draw of my Canon 800mm f5.6 lens so they should fit so fingers crossed.

RobertM

QuoteCanon 800mm f5.6 lens

Yeh, I was thinking about that for portability but I prefered not to mill the filters down.  This is my everyday lens which already has a filter drawer built in:

but I've been considering an upgrade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRq18WpQZC0 but it's not cheap though I think you do get the musicians thrown in with the deal as well as the waving woman.