• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Leo Triplet colour Canon 350D on Tak Esilon 180ED

Started by MarkS, Apr 18, 2010, 19:45:36

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Leo Triplet from last night (Sat 17 April) at Kelling Heath - (title in the Subject line, apologies to Space Dog!)

27 * 5min at ISO 800 modified Canon EOS 350D on Tak Epsilon 180ED (500mm focal length at F2.8 ) + Baader IR/UV filter
10 darks and 30 flats also used.

This is an unscaled crop of the image:

Guiding with the QHY5 on the recently slackened EQ6 was the best I've ever seen.

Mark

Fay

Gosh, Mark, that is really good, great colours , nice framing & good stars. I really like the lower left galaxy
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

JohnP

Excellent Mark - that is looking very good - loads of core detail in all three galaxies & great colours. Nice to get RGB showing in the diffraction spikes as well..

John

RobertM

That looks lovely Mark.  Being picky, I think you could possibly sharpen it a tad to bring out more detail.

Robert

MarkS

Quote from: Space Dog
Thats nice, heres my attempt, I need to do it on a monitor not the laptop http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2727/4534450595_29a74ee554_o.jpg

A very interesting comparison.  Yours is a dedicated camera on a slowish scope.  Mine is a DSLR on a very fast scope.  What was your total exposure in each channel?  Mine was 27 x 5min i.e. 135 minutes in total

Quote from: RobertM
Being picky, I think you could possibly sharpen it a tad to bring out more detail.

Interesting you should say that - I've already sharpened this as much as I dare.  I'm beginning to wonder if the DSLR's Bayer matrix might ultimately be a limiting factor when it comes to sharpness because to convert the RAW image to RGB, an awful lot of interpolation (i.e. data smearing) is taking place which doesn't happen with a dedicated astro-CCD.

I need to design an experiment to test this.

Mark

Rocket Pooch