• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet Animation..

Started by JohnP, Jan 17, 2007, 17:05:06

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

OK as promised here is my attempt at an animation using the comet pictures I took last wednesday. The animation consists of 12 frames (they are not equally spaced so it's a bit jerky). The first frame was taken at 16:51 & the last at 17:14 so only 23mins separates first & last... This comet was moving fast! It's interesting to see direction of movement & also tail getting longer as it's gets nearer to the horizon. I tried to include horizon landmark as point of reference.

The file size is quite large 800Kb so I have placed a link to my webpage rather than inserting the image.

Hope you like?

John.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.punnett/graphics/oas/mosaic5.gif

Rick

An impressive animation.

While there will have been some actual motion, I'd have put the apparent movement mostly down to it setting in the west, and the tail-lengthening down to the sky getting darker, myself. You'd need to see background stars to measure the actual motion...

Rocket Pooch

Good one John, wish I had actually seen the thing!

Fay

Can't believe how fast it was moving. Good job you ran all the way to the park or you would have missed it!

Shame a lot more of the club did not get any images, I'm not sure if many were too aware of it.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!