• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Genny for Deepsky.

Started by Mac, Feb 23, 2009, 11:33:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Following the sucess of Mains at deep skycamp.
I think most people were impressed at how quiet my Genny was.
There was a chat going round about possible getting a society genny for running various things.

This is my genny. 2Kw
https://www.kmsdirect.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_16&products_id=168&zenid=1445750f8ab0a059b62cf2e89d537506

and a slightly larger one at 3Kw
https://www.kmsdirect.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_16&products_id=132&zenid=1445750f8ab0a059b62cf2e89d537506

Tony, said he was going to try and get some sound proofing, this would quieten the genny further, not that you could hear it over the gas burner  :o.

This could be used for running laptops, heaters, ect, ect.

Mac.

Fay

Don't forget hairdryer!!!!!!! Great idea Mac! Would not have to worry so much about batteries going too low, as long as Genny was not relied upon for power at the beginning of the night by anyone.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Well as long as enough of the Deep Sky Campers can cough up enough cash to purchase one then why not.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

I must admit although it was very quiet I still found it quite obtrusive when I was looking at Chris's/ Fay's imaging etc. (but I think you may have had your car running as well Mac).. Maybe placing it further away with straw bales or the like around it would do the job... or perhaps I should have just had a few stella's to numb the senses..... at least the noise wasn't as bad as the 'drone of those pipes.....'!!!!

John.

Mike

I barely noticed it. With it palced in a soundproof box it will be silent.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

are we still looking for a group tent? I can see Tom having a fit of apoplexy if we ask for both...

Mike

If we are going to buy a genny and/or a group tent then the DSC'ers should pay for it, not the society.

Fay

I thought that the communal tent you put up, Mike, was an ok size.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

QuoteI thought that the communal tent you put up, Mike, was an ok size.

I agree, at least with the numbers we are currently getting at DSC.

Carole

MarkS

If we're at a public site or a public star party it's possible that other campers might not like the genny noise - even though it's subdued.

Mark

Mike

The communal tent we are using at the moment is OK for now. But it would be too small for the summer months when we have a lot more people staying.

Mark, I agree we could not use a generator at a public site unless it could be made 100% silent.

Mac

QuoteMark, I agree we could not use a generator at a public site unless it could be made 100% silent.

It might be worth just checking with the site, you never know.

If its a public site, then there will probably be mains anyway.

Tony G

Mac,

I have spoken to one of the sites, and they may be able to help with some insulation for sound proofing, just let me know the sizes you require.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

while you're there Tony. There's not one of those gert diesel engined jobbies lying around? You know, a bit like the ones they use for starting aeroplanes? ;)

Just a thought. Might need a little more soundproofing that though.