• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Arthur C. Clarke's '2010' Still Beyond Reality

Started by mickw, Jan 09, 2010, 08:51:55

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

The year 2010 has arrived, but humans have yet to travel out to the gas giants of our solar system as portrayed by Arthur C. Clarke in his book "2010: Odyssey Two" — much less unearth alien artifacts on the moon.

Clarke was more than just a science fiction legend — he was a physicist, and in 1945, the same year he sold his first story, he was the first to propose the concept of geostationary telecommunications satellite networks, more than a decade before the first orbital rocket flight. He died in 2008 at age 90.

More:   http://www.space.com/entertainment/arthur-c-clarke-2010-reality-100108.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+spaceheadlines+(SPACE.com+Headline+Feed)&utm_content=Google+UK
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Quotehe was the first to propose the concept of geostationary telecommunications satellite networks, more than a decade before the first orbital rocket flight

they named the location of geostationary satellites as the Clarke belt because of that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke_belt

Mac.

Fay

I like a lot of the old sci fi books.

I have just started Voyagers by Ben Bova. Some of them don't age so much as others.
Recently I read The Sixth Winter, published 1979, by Douglas Orgill & John Gribbin. You would not think you were reading such an old book, very good.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

doug

Fay, try reading "Rendevous with Rama", by Arthur C Clarke and the follow-up books, culminating in "Rama Revealed".  Absolutely amazing and enthralling.  They are books you have to keep reading......

Also some of the Isacc Asimov books.  Again, can get heavy but worth bashing on with. J.G. Ballard is another excellent author.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Fay

I probably read them all, years ago, as sci-fi is all I used to read.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

That's all I used to read too.  You should try some John Wyndham books, The Chrysalids, Midwich Cuckoos, Kraken Wakes, Chocky and Day of the Triffids etc.  These were the books that really got me reading in my teens together with Arthur C Clark, Michael Moorcock, E.E. Doc Smith (sorry!) and Frank Herbert.  Wasn't too much into Asimov though I think I did read one or two.  Much like my LP's I still have all my old books, not sure I'll ever get rid of them.