• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

CCD Imaging Definitions

Started by JohnP, Jul 27, 2007, 09:25:59

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Got this link off UKAI.. has some useful definitions for CCD imagers... No excuse now for not looking intelligent when Chris talks about Readout Noise or Dynamic Range...  :o

http://www.ccd.com/ccd102.html

John

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Well well, where shall we start, the blooming chips, typically KAF from Kodak to have a better QE of upto 85% with the new style chips; however the by chips as in the KAF1100 are both blooming and also have a QE of 55%.  Whereas the Sony chips like mikes has a lower QE65% max at Ha regions but its also anti blooming by 300% of the maximum well depth.  This means that if you are taking pretty pictures then the bright stars will not bleed over into the nearby pixels.  The chip in the SVX9 has low responce in Blue and Green as this article explaied, but the chip in my HX916 is anti blooming and has quite even RGB sensitivity therefore making RGB and also spectroscopy easier and more even RGB balancing.

So in short all chips have their issue.

And if I had the cash I would buy a SBIG 8XME because of the image scale sensitivity and more importantly the thermal stability of the camera.  SE cameras are not thermally stanble which can have some very interesting effects.  But the KAF chips also have bas thermal noise.

Chris

JohnP

Understood every word...... :-)

Did you mention Spectroscopy......!

Rocket Pooch

Fay

Chris you have stolen my article!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!