• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Flaming Star Nebula IC405

Started by Carole, Sep 19, 2012, 23:53:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

My last image done at Kelling.  Once again it is a comparison and combination of Ha and DSLR.

Images are:
1. Kelling Heath Star Party, 13-9-12, Atik383L, Ha 12nm, 3 x 1200secs, ED80, Captured in Artemis at -10 degrees (stong winds)
2. Modified Canon 450D, done over 2 nights, 14th and 15th Sept 2012, 30 x 300secs, 800 ISO, Captured in APT with Dithering
3. Combination of Ha and DSLR, Aligned in Maxim, and processed in Photoshop CS3

Carole

Fay

well you have done a good selection, Carole, & had a good practice with your new camera
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

looking good carole - any chance you can post a link to the full size Ha. Thks,  John

MarkS

Another interesting comparison.

The combined image again shows more then either of the other two on their own.  But the colour on the combined image is a bit washed out.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Fay and John.

John, this is a link to the full size Mono.  Don't looks at the corners as this was taken on the Thursday BEFORE Bern turned up with my spacer.
http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10047/Flaming_Star_Kelling_6_x_1200secs_Atik_Ha_Mono.png

Hi Mark, Yes it's interesting that the final image shows more combined than the two separately.  That's on the plus side, on the minus side I don't seem to have much control over colour when adding the Ha it turns whatever red I have into Pink.  I took a look on the web and there seems to be a variety of colour versions.  Hopefully once I have got LRGB filters I will be able to get better colour, but as they are very expensive, it might be a while yet.  

One thing this weekend's exercise has taught me is that I can get far more detail with the Atik than I am ever likely to get with the DSLR and am very happy with my decision to move over to a Mono CCD camera and also the larger sensor.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
One thing this weekend's exercise has taught me is that I can get far more detail with the Atik than I am ever likely to get with the DSLR and am very happy with my decision to move over to a Mono CCD camera and also the larger sensor.

The mono camera will definitely open up a whole new range of opportunities for you to explore.  I'm already looking forward to your next Horsehead image!

Carole

I feel like a child in a sweet shop now, can't wait for various targets to appear so I can have a "go" at them.

Carole