• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Registax - Memory Issues

Started by Mike, Sep 17, 2013, 11:21:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Has anyone else had issues with Registax running out of memory? I have 32Gb of RAM on my system and yet it keeps crashing with "Out of memory" errors. The memory info at the top of the application says total memory 4096 like it is restricted to 4Gb only.

It's really frustrating.

I am trying to stack some Moon images (jpg) that are only around 2Mb in size each so it should not be running out of memory. I get the same in both versions 5 and 6.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

I've only had trouble trying to stack DSLR images.

Mike

That's what they are. It won't open the RAW files so i'm using the jpg's
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I have been able to open Raw files in Registax, are you trying to do quite a few at once, as that is when I got the issue?  I seem to recall having to stack 2 or 3 at a time and then stack the stacks.

Carole

Mike

That seems totally counter-intuitive if that is what is necessary. With the small file sizes and amount of ram I have it should process it with ease. This sounds like poor programming to me. But then Registax is over 2 years old now.

Deep Sky Stacker is not much good either as it won't register planetary images.

Autostakkert will only do AVI files.

Les R

32GB?

No wonder the newest i5 touch screen laptop I bought runs like a dog!

That doesnt sound right Mike. With that amount of RAM it should be a breeze. Have you tried uninstalling / reinstalling registax? Or the files on a different PC to see if its replicated?

If you upload them I will see how mine copes. (I expect not very well - but at least it will replicate the same problem if its the software of files themselves.)

I really do need to upgrade mine to the 16GB I promised to do!

Another suggestion.... Have you tried Lightroom to see how that works? (You can stack in that also - but unsure on its astonomy useage - but again, if it handles the files, it ponts in the direction of registax.)

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Autostakkert will only do AVI files.

VirtualDub will turn jpgs into AVI files.
Make sure the jpgs are numbered sequentially, then open the first one and VD will auto-load the rest.  Then save as AVI after selecting your codec.

Mike

Thanks Mark. I will give VirtualDub a try. I was trying too exactly this with another piece of software called MakeAVI but the resulting AVI's would not load into Autostackert or Registax.

As it happens, I forgot I had ImagesPlus which will align and combine files of any size including RAW with ease and so I will use that instead.

I could simply create a HD video file from the camera in future, but of course HD resolution is much lower than the cameras full resolution so a series of shots with an intervalometer should produce a better result than a video.

Les R

Mark is it a single image or timelapse you wanted to do? (I thought it was single image!)

I use premier when I've done timelapse. Not done many.... Killer for the shutter.

Here's one I did in Switzerland.... The view we had from our bedroom!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5khQMFnqvLs

Mike

Les I was stacking a series of images to try and get a sharp image of the Moon. Noise and atmospheric dispersion can be reduced by stacking. ImagesPlus does the job very well.

Yeah I've created Timelapse sequences before. Here is one I did last year at DSC using Premier and Final Cut Pro.

TIMELAPSE

Les R

That was what I thought Mark. The talk of avi's threw me!

I remember seeing that clip last year. Excellent job. I've been looking out for a wide angle / fisheye to do the same. You probably remember I attempted to do the one from the top of Mount Teide that ended in failure as I didn't give long enough exposure. Annoying as you won't get a darker clearer sky this side of Sidcup!

Not used final cut. What's it do that Premier doesn't? Not available now is it?

Mike

Quote from: Les R on Sep 17, 2013, 18:52:41
That was what I thought Mark.

Mike.

Quote from: Les R on Sep 17, 2013, 18:52:41
Not used final cut. What's it do that Premier doesn't? Not available now is it?

It's OSX only. Does what Premiere does but a lot easier to use.