• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Time for some new kit

Started by Mike, Mar 06, 2011, 23:32:03

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

You should be well set up for Kelling Heath then ...

Mike

Just need to learn how to use it all now.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

...followed closely by the QHY5  :D

Great service from Bern at Modern Astronomy as usual.

Mike

The QHY5 was a bit of a pig to set up. Took several goes of installing and reinstalling different types of drivers before it was recognised by PHD. Got there in the end.

Haven't tried it in MaximDL or AA yet.

Fay

Gosh, Mark, that was some info you posted, you are a very helpful chap!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

I always use the QHY5 Ascom Driver.

Carole

QuoteThe QHY5 was a bit of a pig to set up
Yes I'd conclure with that.  I've done it twice now on both laptops.

Carole

Mike

Canon 1000D arrived today :D

Now I just need to learn how to use it all !!

mickw

Excellent, is it modded yet or will you break it later  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

I went down the lazy route of buying a pre-modded one from astronomiser. Simply because I know it has been done properly and is still covered by warranty. It's got the Baader filter in it.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

One of the other items I got from Bern was an adaptor to allow the QHY5 to be connected directly into the ED80 Finderscope. I think it's a great idea and cuts down on complexity and weight a lot:-

The Thing

Beats cutting the end off your finderscope as I did with my Meade. But that was mostly so I could get it to focus with a webcam where the CCD is set back inside the housing a cm or more.

BTW Flocking the inside of the finder/guide scope greatly improved contrast and allows me to pick out faint stars when no easy ones are visible with my QHY5 (or use shorter exposures).