• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Some questions for Chris

Started by Fay, Dec 01, 2010, 14:39:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Chris your camera,

are the filters operated manual or auto?

Does it take a while for  focus frame to download, is it quick if focused 2x2 ?

Do you view the subs @ 50% or 25% in Astroart, as they are similar in size to DSLR?

are 1.25 filters suitable or only just?

do you have to have a power brick or is it just USB connection?

No reasons ....just wondering.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Jim

Hi Fay

I've got the same camera so can answer a bit as well

are the filters operated manual or auto? Automatic, I use Nebulosity (cheapest), but drivers for Astroart, CCDsoft and Maxim are available

Does it take a while for  focus frame to download, is it quick if focused 2x2 ? . You can download a subframe binned up to 4x4 quickly in Nebulosity, not sure about other programs

Do you view the subs @ 50% or 25% in Astroart, as they are similar in size to DSLR? Not sure what you mean by this, in Nebulosity it's easy to zoom and fit the whole sub into a window

are 1.25 filters suitable or only just? Yep 1.25 filters are fine I think upto f2.8 and even then I think some people are happily using f2.8 and just using flats

do you have to have a power brick or is it just USB connection? Needs a 12v power supply.

You're very welcome to pop round and have a look (once the snow has gone)

Fay

thanks for that Jim, forgot about you now having the same. I would like to pop asround when suitable, thanks Jim

mickw

You'd better go soon if you want it for Christmas  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Fay,

The I use AstroArt and I do a quick focus 2x2 then finish it 1x1, the focus sub frames are 2 seconds, that how long it take for each frame to come down.

Jim is right about the F no for the lenses etc, but realistically with normal 1.25" filters F4 is the fastest you should go to without the need for flats, but if your taking flats anyway F2.8 is doable just.

The camera is a piece of art, but you will need flatteners with your setup, you have them so no issues, the camera is also well suited to the ED80 and ED120.

As Jim also says no brick, just a 12v lead and USB cable all filters and everything else controlled in the camera software.

The chip is an 8.3 mpix APS-C sized chip my EOS1000D is also an APS-C chip.

Chris

Fay

Jim

If you get a bananascope as well.....

mickw

Dear Santa............................

etc., etc.  :lol:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional