• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Take a look at this guy's shot of Ganymede

Started by Oscar the Cat, Aug 24, 2007, 08:44:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar the Cat

Tony G

This is the main image on APOD (astronomy picture of the day) for today.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

Impressive eh!  Paul, have you seen the images from the guy with his peltier cooled 13.5. newt in Australia?

Rick

I like the "409 of 10000" ratio. Very picky. ;)

Mike

Quote from: Rick on Aug 24, 2007, 11:22:51
I like the "409 of 10000" ratio. Very picky. ;)

I guess you would have to - The atmospheric disturbance on images of something that tiny would be ridiculous from just about anywhere.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Oscar the Cat

Hi Chris, no haven't seen the Aussie's images, do you have a link?

Rick

Quote from: Mike on Aug 24, 2007, 11:38:42I guess you would have to - The atmospheric disturbance on images of something that tiny would be ridiculous from just about anywhere.
Yep. Even with excellent atmospheric conditions you'd expect some variation in image quality. The Rayleigh limit for that set-up should be about 0.5" (unless I've got all the units wrong somewhere), and the diameter is given as 1.7" so the stacking is buying quite a bit...