• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Gallery

Started by Fay, Jul 16, 2008, 12:32:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Rick, is it possible to edit an image in the gallery, without havng to type all the details in again?

Thanks,

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rick

As in "replace the existing image with another version"?

There's not an easy way. I have hacked in replacements by using ftp and sql...

The safer way is to upload your new version, pull the old and new ones up side by side, and copy-n-paste the details across. When you're done, delete the old one...

(At least that way all the hooks, sizes and so on get set properly. The URLs change though, and the comments, votes and view-counts get reset.)

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Hi Rick,

That would be a welcome enhancement.  I'm not sure how the system works but as an alternative would it be possible to add another image then remove the original.  The upload screen kind of suggests the possibility of uploading two files but it depends on your database schema as to how these are stored and linked to the descriptive text.

Thanks
Robert

Rick

You can upload more than one file at a time, but each one goes into its own new page, and there's a trade-off based on how long it takes to upload the images. I've kept the number of boxes fairly small because otherwise there's a risk that the browser times out before the upload is done, and then things get left in limbo.

If the gallery's developer decides to add a feature to allow an existing image to be replaced then I'll let you know...