• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Quick Test Last Night..

Started by JohnP, May 25, 2011, 13:19:08

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Spent last night fitting & adjusting my new OAG. As a quick test when finished thought I would take a sequence of images of m57 using 5min, 10min, 20min & 30min sub to see if it is possible to get outer halo from Light Polluted Bromley. Anyway result shown below - just a simple stretch of raws in aip4win... Image acquired using ED80 + Atik16ic with Baader 7nm Ha filter.

As you can see it is just visible on 20 & 30min subs... Blimey don't think I'm going to bother with this...!

Cheers,  John.

Mike

It will become visible on shorter subs that are stacked. Just need lots. I'd go for it John. Looks promising.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

That's a good comparison John, though to me it looks like it is possible (just) - the question is whether anyone has the patience to get enough subs to make a good image.

btw, what was the calibrated background counts for each image?

Robert

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM
btw, what was the calibrated background counts for each image?

And what is the background count in electrons?

JohnP

Thks.

Statistics 5min Sub (Whole image) is - Min 269, Max 48844, Median 395
Statistic 30min Sub (Whole image) is - Min 699, Max 48605, Median 916

These numbers are straight from raws (uncalibrated)

(No idea why 5min sub has a higher Max than 30min sub....)

Avg background value for darks is approx 300..

Below is quick, cropped, uncalibrated stack of the 5 images I took (1x5min, 1x10min, 2x20min & 1x30min) - Halo def showing but you have to stretch image so far for it to show... :-(   Not a lot for 85mins...!

The 7nm Baader is a very narrow band filter (maybe too narrow for me..) I may try again using my 12nm Ha filter..

Rocket Pooch

Well you got it!

Nice thought though trying to get that, what you need is a faster scope with more focal legth to get you in there!  ;)

JohnP

ummm.... a 200mm f4 would do nicely Mr. Suddell....  ;) Darker skies would be good as well.

RobertM

Sensitive camera, fast scope and dark skies ... sound's like you're ready for a DSC ?

Your background counts are interesting...

A median of 916 is very low for 30 mins around the Bromley area.  I did some 7nm Ha subs of this a few days ago but I don't think even the calibrated subs had background counts that low.  I'd better check the filters are the right way round !

I would say the 13nm will give a worse background count and mask more faint image detail, that's the advantage of the 7nm.  I would say 3nm would be of even more benefit (if they weren't so pricey that is).

Robert

Fay

I did 5x1800 on it last night, Atik & SW 120. Could not see that much of the outer halo. Used 12nm ha filter.

I think life may be too short!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Just had a play with the 85mins of data that I took a week or so ago. Really tough to process - this is about best I could do. I have enlarged X200% (so same soft issues as Carole had with hers due to resampling). As you can see no hint of ring showing - it is so dim that any chance to show it just blows out m57...

John.

RobertM

Did you resample the stacked image? If so then I suggest you resample each sub separately then stack using star alignment (not unaligned even they may be no drift).

The result looks very good by the way ...

Robert

Fay

I think that is looking quite detailed John
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Hi Robert - yes I did a 200% upsample on stacked image in PS. Never thought of resampling individual subs before stacking.. I will give this a try - Cheers & thks Fay,  John