• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pacman - test image

Started by Carole, Jul 23, 2014, 10:12:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Was sorting out problems last night, but needed to take an image to see if the remedies had worked.

Problems were:
1. Guiding with the finderguider of late, produced elongated stars if I went over 5mins (not sure where or when the problem started).
2. Was getting hot pixels and needed to find software that would dither.  
I am aware of slight elongation to some of the corners, that's next on the list.

Solutions:
1. Bought a set of small guide rings and mounted the finderguider on a plate instead of Finderbracket and shoe.
2.  Downloaded a fresh install and upgrade on APT which was previously crashing every time I started to image and I now have dithering.  

By the time I got started I only managed 4 x 1200sec subs before it was almost starting to get light and the dome was in the way.  Hoping to add to this.

Image: Pacman in Ha (my first image of this object)

4 x 1200secs Atik314L+ Baader Ha filter 7nm
SW ED120 & NEQ6
Finderguider mounted in guide rings
Captured in APT with dithering

Fay

that looks good Carole, i will have to try dithering myself
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Fay.

I used to use it with DSLR but since I went over to CCD imaging I really missed it and found some of the more advanced programmes that did dithering to be too complicated for me to cope with.  So really glad to have got APT working OK again.

Carole

MarkS

That's looking really good for a test image.

Lovely scale!  With a few hours of data that would look excellent.

Are you using a field flattener with the ED120?

Carole

I now have a total of 9 x 1200secs (3 hours) and I have re-orientated it for those who like to see it this way up:
Tried some Oiii but it doesn't come out well from Bromley, so it will have to wait for a dark site.

Fay

a very nice Pacman Carole
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

RobertM

Needs a bit more work on the E-W as there seems to be some movement there.  I still think there's something dicky with your focusing although that may be a JPEG artifact.

I think you should use these test images to try to get to the bottom of any issues.  If possible compare this image with another done by the same or similar equipment.  It's what I'm trying to get done before the longer nights appear and more imaging time is lost.

Robert

MarkS

Definitely get PHD2 up and running.  The "Target" display is invaluable for showing if egg-shaped stars are caused by guiding issues.