• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

PACMAN

Started by Fay, Sep 20, 2008, 13:09:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

There must have been  500 planes going over last night!!!!!!!!

17x300secs Ha,Atik 314L

No darks or flats as power went. I use my jump start for the Atik. Must sort out a mains connection.

Not nearly as good as Chris's.   Noisy
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Very nice Fay, I had the same problem with planes myself.

Mac

Nice image,

How you finding using the atic,

Fay

Well, Mac. same as using the SX I suppose. I want to learn to use the Artemis capture programme as you can control the image size on screen. On Astroart it is either 50% or 100%.

Not had that much practice at the moment though.

Fay

I think this may look a bit better. Haloes around stars, anyone know how to get rid of them?

MarkS

Fay,

That's a good image - you certainly can't complain about that.  Lots of detail and nice round stars.

One thing puzzles me though - it's a monochrome camera you are using, isn't it, and you were using an Ha filter.  So I don't understand why I'm seeing coloured noise in your image.  At what stage did that appear I wonder?

Mark

Rocket Pooch

guys the main reason why I do not have noise is because I do a non linear stretch on the image which removes the high and low noise.   

Fay

Mar, I bet I did not change the mode from rgb to grayscale

Fay

What program is non linear stretch in Chris?

Rocket Pooch

hi fay,

what are you stacking with, maxim, astro art and aip all have non-linear functions in them.

chris

Fay

Hi Chris yes I saw that Maxim has it & I have downloaded an article on DDP. I will have a go tomorrow, thanks

RobertM

Fay,  I nearly always use DPP in Maxim.  It was designed to emulate the characteristics of film for digital photography and works out to be ideal for Astro images.

Fay

Oh I called it DDP, oh well.

DO you use it before any processing or after, Robert? Are there any set rules for settings?

RobertM

Ooops did I say DPP !  Fay yes it is DDP... must have been thinking of something else at the time.

Look up 'tutorial DDP Maximdl' in google and open at the first entry, there is lots of very useful stuff on that site...

Fay

Robert, I have had a look & an attempt at DDp but bit complicated at the moment. Perhaps Chris can make it clearer next week. I have printed of that info on the site you suggested.